1-bit / monochrome graphic

Hi guys.

Every computer has its own architecture.
For instance - although a non-compressed gfx file, like BMP - taken from ZX Spectrum standard graphic mode will have 41 Kb, but still the same picture on the native ZX Spectrum format SCREEN$ will take always only 6912 bytes, no matter what.

Lately I was trying to draw pictures for Arduboy (I’m afraid they’re bad, but still I had a lot of fun) and their BMP files are 1086 bytes each.
I was wondering - what will be exact size of such a full-screen pic in the Arduboy’s native format? Also different? The same maybe?

Below are my pics, btw. :wink: Hehe…

Regards.
Y

4 Likes

Time for an overkill answer:

The Arduboy screen resolution is 128x64.
Graphics are 1-bit bitmaps, and there are 8 bits in an Arduboy byte so that’s (128 * 64) / 8 bytes, which is 1024 bytes (1 KB).

The Arduboy has 32KB of progmem, 4KB of which is taken up by the bootloader, leaving 28KB, so a full screen image is 1/28th of the memory available for code and read-only data.

(And remember that 28KB has to contain code as well, so it’s less than 28 full screen images. The more code and other data there is, the less images there will be room for.)

P.S. Nice artwork. Interesting art style.

1 Like

However, a screen image can be compressed when stored in program memory. If you decide to use compressed images, the number you can store will depend on the resulting compression ratio. The compression ratio of each image will depend on the compression technique used and the contents of the image.

Looks like Reg Mombassa’s work. :grinning:

*searches for 'Reg Mombassa, second result is a painting of a kangaroo, a dingo and a koala hanging around a barbeque*

You’re not helping to break the stereotypes here :P.

Seriously though, I see what you mean.

Just noticed the Koala is a cyclopse… weird.

(Some of his other stuff is getting towards the ‘garden of earthly delights’ level of weirdness.)

Do you get Mambo clothing in the UK? That cringe-worthy stuff is Reg’s as well.

Also Reg was in the band ‘Mental as Anything’ straight out ofthe '80s.

[quote="Pharap (…) a koala hanging around a barbeque*
[/quote]

One of them might have been probed and isn’t completely safe , thought. @filmote

We dance round fires welcoming the solstice listening to Mambo No.5 does that count?

Edit:
Why do kangaroos alaways sit on invisible chairs?

2 Likes

I guess … you guys do it differently in the UK.

1 Like

Only 20 days until the solstice.
*Lou Bega intensifies*

I reiterate the point I made a while back about November 5th being the day celebrated by burning effigies and dancing around the fire, which out of context sounds like a scene from Macbeth.

1 Like

Thx a lot guys (also - for the Reg Mombassa’s works :wink: ) - it was most insightful.
Yes, we will be thinking of it further.
Including the music stuff (however for this I will probably make another / separate thread).
Greetzzzzz! :slight_smile:

Great now I have to put this into off topic you jokers.

1 Like

lol i quite enjoyed following this thread… More pixel art and artist references!

1 Like

“Nocturne with Carbone and Truckskull”

2 Likes

Kevin:

Great now I have to put this into off topic you jokers.

Heyyyyyyyyy, don’t do it.
It was very interesting.

Off-topic isn’t the same as ‘locked’.
The thread will still be open, it’ll just be in a different category.

Yeah now you can talk about whatever you like :slight_smile:

Awesome. I like Pokittos - anyone else?

2 Likes