1-Bit Rogue for Arduboy

(Simon) #1

An Arduino based version of 1-Bit Rogue was mentioned in another thread. Does anyone know the developer? Is this game likely to make it to the Arduboy or do I have to write my own version?

The author is Russian - going by the post language - and I cannot fathom if the source code is available. I know there is a HEX file available for an Arduino / 128x64 OLED screen but it would be great to get a version that ran natively on the Arduboy.

http://www.getchip.net/posts/1-bit-avr-rogue-like-game/

(Simon) #4

I believe @Keyboard_Camper has been playing the HEX version of the game - so he must have completed it.

Yes he DID complete it.
ANd I was a DUMBASS typing up trash…

I said this BECAUSE:
http://www.getchip.net/posts/143-1-bit-avr-game-maze/
On there, he said:
с таким-же дисплеем ArduBoy
Which means: “With the same display: Arduboy”

But the link direct to Arduboy’s homepage…
try that again. Nope. didn’t work.

Привет, я из Arduboy сообщества, и мне нравится ваша игра.
Извините, что я ответил в неправильном месте…
Если вы хотите, чтобы игра была доступна на Arduboy, вы можете отправить мне свой исходный код, и наше сообщество может завершить вашу работу и портировать ее для вас, следуя публичной лицензии GNU.

Hi, I’m from Arduboy community and I like your game.
Sorry I replied in the wrong place…(I did)
If you want the game to be available on Arduboy, you can send me your source code, and our community can complete your work and port it to you by following the GNU Public License.

I hope he will reply. He had been doing other stuff on the web for like … forever.

ATTENTION: word “to” was inproperly translated due to some >technical issue< with bing.com/translator

(Scott R) #6

From what I read on the project he was intending to release his own commercial hardware.

Just to note I could only got it working on SH1106 oled although there is mention of using a SSD1306 in the comments.

So you got it to work
:open_mouth:
how?
with arduino leonardo???
Most of us are more interested in getting the source code, after all, which make it more arduboy compatiable (and maybe more smooth-running)

(Scott R) #8

No I’m using a nano with SH1106

(Scott R) #10

It should work with any 328p aslong as you have the correct pins.

(Pharap) #12

My favorite bagel, which I play on my smartphone is Darkness Survival.

128h64, though not enough, but on the other hand - it will add to the game the additional complexity (and bagels for the complexity and unpredictability like)

Please tell me ‘bagel’ is Russian slang and this isn’t Google Translate just being terrible.

It sounds like the author is discussing making their own console, Arduin based 128x64 OLED and aparently able to fit on a keychain.

The author said in the comments “The source will be open.”, so either they changed their mind or it’s elsewhere.

The linked article about generating labyritnths is interesting.
(Original link: link. Link via Google translate so it appears in English: link.)

If anyone’s trying to contact the author, it’s probably better to look at the forums (Original link: link. Translated link: link).

(Holmes) #13

I hope this gets working! That game looks fun. :scream:

(Holmes) #15

WHOA. This guy wrote it in assembly… That guy is hardcore.

Well, that guy is RUSSIAN.

(Pharap) #17

Depends how good the assembly is.

It might be utter spaghetti that doesn’t use function calls and just jumps around the code.
(Which would admittedly save lots of progmem but be a maintenance nightmare.)

Let’s just hope it is not a plate of spagetti.
Wait. Which language support the goto line thingy?

(Pharap) #19

Assembly doesn’t have if, else, while etc,
it’s all done with jump instructions (which are essentially gotos).

In assembly using the equivalent of goto is essentially mandatory.
Usually it’s called branch or jump though.
(But with more cryptic names like JMP and BRNE.)

Writing assembly isn’t actually difficult per se, it’s just mind numbingly tedious.
I’m sure I could write a game in assembly if I really wanted to,
but it would take at least ten times the effort that it would take to do the same with C++.

oh no … :anguished:
Well, expect a plate of code spagetti. Without sauce.

That Russian (awesome) guy still didn’t reply. (Digging out the dusty code?)
I will update things when he update things.

(Evgen) #21

Hi!
At the request of CDR_Xavier decided to write here.
I created this game and decided to give explanations on it.

Sorry for my english. This is the fault of Google Translator :slight_smile:
I’m from Ukraine and I do not know English well.

The game is made for Arduino Uno, Nano … (ATmega328)
Description of the game - http://www.getchip.net/posts/152-gcroguezhazhda-mesti-opisanie-igry/
Use the translator widget for English

There are game options for different displays.
All versions of the game can be obtained through gcManager (manager of my devices)
http://www.getchip.net/gcmanager/
Use the translator widget for English

The source code of the game I have not yet shared.
The reason - the game has not yet been finalized.
In addition, in the process of porting the game to a RGB OLED (SSD1331), there were ideas how to improve the algorithms for displaying graphics on a monochrome display.

The source is created on a thing which is something that looks like a graphic assembler. Directly it does not porting into C-code, but if the community takes it up for it, then I will help with this.

I’ll try myself to make a version for Arduboy. True, the development environment does not support ATmega32u4, but I’ll try to find a solution to this problem.

(Scott R) #22

@GetChiper thank you for your efforts and welcome to the community :+1:t2:

Thanks for responding. Many are looking forward to an Arduboy port including myself. It would be awesome if you could could port it. what is the ‘graphic assembler’ you where talking about?

Kudos for using the GPIO pins as Vcc and GND so the display can be hooked up easily on a breadboard :+1: :+1: :+1:

(Evgen) #24

Algorithm Builder is an old thing. Now no one will start programming on it. I do not know why Atmel (Microchip) has left it in Quick Start Guides. There you can read about him.
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/avr_builder.pdf
Since this is an assembler, it allows you to do very fast things (which is like displaying large amounts of data on a display).

Yeah it seems pretty outdated but I like the visualisation of loops and puting code on the worksheet like on a desktop (kind of reminds when I wrote and debugged code on paper :stuck_out_tongue: )

The Arduboy2 library has some Assembler optimisations too. For example the display code is as fast as the SPI bus can handle.