$12 Arduboy compatible system

(Renty B) #82

Thank you very much for your advice.
I am doing very well now. If you connect with the switch later, you will have fun.

Thank you very much.

(Kevin) #83

Just a quick note Arduboy is globally in stock and available for purchase from our distributors:

http://community.arduboy.com/t/where-to-buy-arduboy-in-stock

(Damian Vila) #84

Even though I have an Arduboy, I wanted to make a Hackduboy (I even have all the needed components!) because I wanted to add an RTC and, you know, Tamagotchi… :laughing:

But now, I think I’ll buy a SAMD21 board, since it seems that’s what’s going to be used in the next version and it already has RTC…

So, do we need a Samduboy thread now? :smile:

(Kevin) #85

http://community.arduboy.com/t/my-arduino-zero-based-system-the-next-generation-arduboy

@MLXXXp is leading the charge!

(Amal Shajan) #88

Is it possible to make an arduboy devkit with esp8266 based system.

(Mike McRoberts) #89

Technically yes as the ESP8266 has a lot more memory and a fast processor than the 32u4 chip used in the ArduBoy. You may however have to modify the library to get it to work.

(Scott) #90

@B45i,
Is your question:

1. Could you add an ESP8266 to an Arduboy, as an additional componemt, to give it wireless capability?

2. Could you use an ESP8266 by itself to create an equivalent to an Arduboy, where the ESP8266’s processor interfaces to the display, buttons, speaker, etc., as well as providing Wifi capability?

The answer to question 1 is: Yes you could add an ESP8266 to the current Arduboy or DevKit, or a new prototype. This has already been discussed.

The answer to question 2 is: As @TheArduinoGuy said, the libraries would have to be modified to support the hardware differences between the current Arduboy and an ESP8266 based system. Another problem is that the ESP8266 only has about 10 I/O pins available. The Arduboy uses 16 pins for all its attached devices. However, if you were to play some tricks with the display and leave off the RGB LED, you may be able to control everything.

(Josh Goebel) #91

Multiple Arduboys talking to each other wirelessly would be pretty kick-butt.

(Kevin) #92

The big question about ESP in this format, what is the power consumption? How long can you run one at 180mAh? The biggest issue I’ve seen is that theoretically these need significant power consumption for the radio, but I haven’t done any testing.

(Scott) #93

Presumably, when used with an Arduboy, an ESP8266 would be transmitting and receiving fairly often. From what I’ve read, an ESP8266 would average around 35mA to 50mA in these circumstances. The Arduboy itself draws about 25mA depending on how many pixels are lit on the display. So, the ESP8266 could draw twice as much as the rest of the Arduboy.

Let’s say the Arduboy draws 25mA and the ESP8266 draws 40mA. That’s 65mA total. A 180mAh battery would last roughly 2.75 hours.

(Sean ) #94

I was thinking use the esp8266 as the main brain for the device and use a multiplexer or I/O expander to control more inputs. Like the PCF8574 as the ic is small and easy to control

(Sean ) #95

I believe it’s 70mA (educ8s.tv) but don’t quote me I’m not 100% sure… (that was with a small tft LCD screen as well. Current is quite low when not using WiFi…)

(Sean ) #96

That would be great!

(Mike McRoberts) #97

ArduBoy uses 16 pins? I made a clone of an ArduBoy and it is using 12 pins.

(Scott) #98

Buttons: 6
Display: 5
Speaker: 2
RGB LED: 3

Tricks with the display: Tie CS low and use an RC circuit for reset to eliminate 2 pins.
This still means 14 pins.

If you want to remove some functionality: Use only 1 pin for the speaker. Eliminate the RGB LED.

(Amal Shajan) #99

Can you please send that CAD file

(Scott) #100

Note that @davidperrenoud’s board is wired as a DevKit. You’ll have to remap the pins if you want it to work as a production Arduboy.

(Mike) #101

Well, my dev box is running memory tests :frowning:, so I decided to take a crack at putting one of these together. The parts box provided everything but sufficient switches, so tried one of these instead. It worked well enough to verify functionality, but the buttons were problematical at best, the LEDs had the wrong common pin, and the entire thing was a bit flakey. Since I Need more switches anyway, I’ve placed an order for those. Thanks to those who contribute the writeup.

I’d really rather use a Uno than a Leonardo, but the code doesn’t compile and I think it’ sufficiently unlikely that the leonardo version will work to bother trying it. Please let me know if that’s wrong. The Arduboy2 library doesn’t seem to be any better off. At one point Scott had a branch of the Arduboy library for the atmega328p, but the examples in that don’t build for me.

So, is the idea of moving from the Leonardo to a Uno dead? My next choice would be a pro mini (I buy those in six-packs), but that’s still got a 328 and not a 32u4, so probably no better.

(Scott) #102

I haven’t done any work whatsoever to make Arduboy2 328p compatible. Even the work I did on the original Arduboy library was incomplete.

An Arduboy equivalent based on a 328 instead of a 32u4 is always going to be problematic. There are too many hardware differences between the chips.

You can get close with the 32u4 based SparkFun Pro Micro but either a Leonardo or an Arduino Micro are the best for 100% compatibility with all sketches.

(Josh Goebel) #103

Yeah and I think overall the library (and others also) is moving the opposite direction of that also. We’re moving to smaller code size and very optimized for real Arduboy hardware (timers, ports, etc). Someone who wants the best experience really needs to use the same components - which as mlxxxp said is the 32u4 when it comes to CPU.