128 x 128 screen

For the 90’s Arduboy project Im using a 128 x 128 Color TFT screen and well it needs a modified library for it to actually work now im not trying to make all the games 128x128 and in color im just trying to get a normal arduboy game to work on it so any help would be great since personally I have little to none experience with coding besides messing around in unreal engine using C++ and the only I did that worked was making the player able to walk up a wall

1 Like

If your display uses an ST7735 driver chip you could have a look at Adafruits ST7735 library

How usable it will be will depend on what your hardware setup is. For pushing out 128x128 12-bit color pixels @ 60 FPS over SPI you’d probably need some 48-60MHz MCU You’d probably end up with something that is similar to a PyBadge

1 Like

I’ll test it out. maybe if I’m bored one day i’ll experiment and see if making a Arduboy 128x128 with color can work but as of right now Ill just play Social Distancing The Game on 128x128 screen

1 Like

@Mr.Blinky provides some great advice …

Why did you ask for help if you are not interested in the answer?

whoops
New

Old

1 Like

2 Likes

The TFT_eSPI library is about 10 times faster then Adafruits ST7735

2 Likes

I finally got the screen but how do I connect it to the Arduboy

1 Like

Connect what? What screen did you get, what controller does it use, what pinout does it have, what communication protocol is it set to use (I2C and SPI being common ones), which version of arduboy are you using (homemade or official)?

As mentioned here, there are some good things to do when you ask for help that helps people help you.

1 Like

The screen is a ST7735, I don’t know what controller it has, the pinsimage
I’m not sure I just took it out of the box a 20 minutes ago so I’m not sure and it’s a official Arduboy

1 Like

From the first Google results for ST7735:

The ST7735 is a single-chip controller/driver for 262K-color, graphic type TFT-LCD.

Please could you try hooking it up using widely available resources already published on the Internet and then come back with more specific questions? How about trying the adafruit wiring first?

Looks like an SPI interface. Just be aware that the pin labels are not using the convention for clock and data lines on your display. SDA is equivalent to MOSI and SCL is equivalent to SCK

Also, that post I linked to before, about helpful ways to ask for help, included an example of someone getting a board to work with an ST7735 display. You may want to ask @Dreamer2345 to give you some details of what worked for him (although he used a different microcontroller).

1 Like

I took a look at the Adafruit one and the screen has around 11 pins while mine has 8 that’s going to be a issue right?

1 Like

this looks like the same form of LCD as mine, It uses the spi interface like @SimonMerrett said, On mine the RGB values are mucked up instead being GRB and the standard library doesent support the weird aspect ratio but im pretty sure theres a 128 x 128 version

1 Like

It’s helpful if you take a careful look and tell us the exact number. In this version I count 10 pins and the Web page tells you that some are not required for the display, only the sd card holder that their board includes. So we’re back to “around” 8 pins which match the ones on your display.

Can you see which ones you can ignore and how the remaining ones map to your display board?

Thanks @Dreamer2345 for joining in to help - I told you that one day you’ll be the one answering the questions!

I assume its CARD CS and I don’t know the other I’ll try It on my Arduboy

If you have access to a decent camera, it might be easiest to just take a photo of the display and its pins and post that photo for other people to look at and draw their own conclusions.
Photos have helped with similar situations in the past.

Looks like its the same display interface Ive got

GND => Ground
VCC => Voltage In (3v3)
SCL => Slave Clock
SDA => Slave Data
RES => Reset
DC => Data Control
CS => Chip Select (Optional)
BL => Backlight (Optional)

Some of these can be tied to ground or 3v3 if you’re planning on having other components then they may be needed ive labeled these pins as (optional)

1 Like

MISO is the other unneeded one in your case (data sent from an SPI slave device like the SD card to a master device like the microcontroller).

So using the helpful pin map that @Dreamer2345 posted (and remembering that SDA is MOSI - Master Out Slave In and SCL is SCK) do you know which pins on the Arduboy you need to use?

GND => Ground
VCC => Voltage In (3v3)
SCL => Slave Clock = SCK
SDA => Slave Data = MOSI
RES => Reset
DC => Data Control = Data Command
CS => Chip Select = to Ground
BL => Backlight = to VCC 3v3 (ESPboy using DAC to have the possibility of software changing the backlit lightness)

note that arduboy has OLED SPI display
so to use both the OLED SPI and LCD SPI you have to select the right display before sending commands to it to CSpin=LOW of disp to use and CSpin=HIGH to disp you don’t use

the best library to work with this ST7735 is TFT_eSPI