3d printer recommendations

Order a original prusa, they are the only ones actually doing it right, full open source, excellent support, they even use their own printers for the whole production. All the cheapo clones will bring you hours of troubleshooting and the expensive ones just constantly move on and abandon their previous.

yesssssssss! I would work for free, just to assemble printers as holidays. Eating soluble PLA to survive.

3 Likes

Prusa MK3/S and Ender-3/pro are very excellent choices.
They have been given high marks on a number of review sites.

I have been using Flashforge Creator Pro for about 6 years.
(Simplify3D is a great combination with Creator Pro)
In this category of fast evolving speed, my 2014 machine is like a classic car.
However, Creator Pro has been improved several times and continues to be sold today.
The current new Creator Pro may not be the absolute best choice, but it’s not a bad choice.

If I want to buy a 3D printer now, I will refer to the following sites and magazines.

“2020 Best 3D Printers (Spring Update)”

“The Best 3D Printers 2019”

HackSpace magazine — Issue 26
"What’s the best 3D printer? "

etc…

1 Like

Instead of following reviewers that tried the printers for few weeks, I would go for the company that uses like 500 of their own printers, 24/7, in the production, whichever they might be :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Seems hard to find any printers in stock anywhere :frowning:
That link that @tuxinator2009 sold out over night!

How much more better is the PRO?

I’d probably go prusa, but the price is a bit too much for me right now prefer to keep it as much under $500 as possible.

Oh damn! SLA machines have got super cheap too! For what I’m doing SLA might be better, but I’d prefer not to deal with the mess and having the resin go bad…

oh nuts it’s way too small for what I need… Creality Ender 3 Pro looks like my dude.

Ok last question, anyone have recommendation for food-safe filament?

prusa mini then :stuck_out_tongue:

backordered until September… :frowning:

Went with this:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15711

Mainly because it was the only one that seems to be available in my price range that is going to ship reliably soon.

Thats a good one as well. I had a monoprice maker select mini.

PLA is food safe. Its a plant based material.

BTW I’ve been following this printer Obsidian by Kodama, it looks beautiful, but its still pre-order
Only 150$ for the starting price.
https://kodama-obsidian.squarespace.com/

I’d be wary of any printer that uses injection molded parts for the supports because it’s kind of impossible to produce large molded parts that don’t have some kind of deflection or warping to them due to the cooling process from the mold. It can be engineered for but then quality control of the injection process becomes even more important. It’s tough to do.

Thanks for the advice!

Does anyone have a link to a 4D printer or at least a 3.5D printer?

I’m struggling to decide whether that’s meant to be a joke or not,
because 4D printing is apparently a real thing.

It’s not quite what I was expecting though.
I’m disappointed because I wanted to print a tesseract. :P

I remember reading about a kind of metal that can be deformed and then returns to a predetermined shape upon being heated, but I can’t remember what it was called…

Maybe you need to heat up your brain. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You basically just bought a wanhao i3

You now need Ikea tables 10mm threaded bar and some custom firmware.

And start fiddling months trying to get big pieces to stick without loads of glue on top of a glass, noisy steppers, no support, etc :stuck_out_tongue: but it will be funny to follow his bitching in twitter.

I thought it looked familiar

Isn’t that something that counts for all 3D printers? It’s the main reason that’s keeping me from buying a 3D printer.

There is a big difference fiddling to tune it up to perfection or to actually get it to work. If you get a clone, you start your own journey. I am personally OK with that experience, I can enjoy spending couple of afternoon weeks tweaking my printer.

In any case, any printer will perform ok with simple small designs.

Clearly I knew all along and it was an ironic joke for those who knew the name.
(*Cue polygraph buzzing* :P)

(Now if only I could remember why I was reading that article in the first place…)

1 Like

Nothing you 3d print will be food safe without a thick coating that is food safe, and those are hard to get as most of them require that you heat them to higher temperatures than the melting point of your 3d printing material. 3d printed plastic is very porous and bacterias and germs love pores. You can make one time use items, but that’d be a waste of plastic.

1 Like

Apparently:

Natural PLA is made from corn starch and is generally considered food safe. However, it’s a bit more complicated than that. Some manufacturers will blend in other additives — for color, strength, or other features — that make the filament unsafe to ingest. Some PLA filaments are designated food safe, but in the first instance you should check with the manufacturer.

Then there’s stuff like lead in the brazz nozzles and so-called ‘ultrafine particles’… It’s a minefield.

And wood does not? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I would like to see somebody actually testing this with few printed materials vs normal inyected plastics pieces, metal and wood in petri dishes. Instead of on-the-fly speculations.

1 Like