3d printer recommendations

Those are nice 3d prints! I guess my mind is just focused on flex PCBA and laser engraving right now! :wink:

@eried How did you get that surface finish on that speaker grill it looks like the extruder is like doing some kind of z movement as it prints the top layer(s)?

1 Like

Sad face :sob:

The power supply on my 3D printer died today. One of those pesky ceramic capacitors cracked.

Good news: ordered a replacement on amazon for $25 with prime shipping and it’ll be here Monday :grin:
Bad news: I was in the middle of printing a toy helicopter for my son and I to play with together this weekend now it’ll have to wait. I also had a list of 3D printable toys that he would love that’ll sadly have to wait for a bit.

2 Likes

If I had a 3D printer I’d probably design and print replicas of spaceships and things from scifi series.
Unfortunately I don’t really have the room.

Very grotesque. At least you’re ready for halloween, I guess.

Just give him a cardboard box, some plastic bottles, some scissors and some tape or glue.
That worked perfectly well before we had all these newfangled 3D printers. :P

It is a textured PEI steel sheet. My printers are very old (from 2011 and 2014) so I constantly add the “new fashionable” stuff. Latest additions were that texture option, filament sensor and powerloss recovery :face_with_monocle:

Oh so thats the base layer?

I’ve found that higher temps on PLA usually makes the hairs much finer, then after waiting for the print to cool down I use a heat gun on high to very quickly sweep over the print and melt the hairs.

It either blasts the hairs away or turns the hairs into balls/bumps that are much easier to slice off with a box cutter.

Works very well with fat convex models and with large holes (something like a coffee cup). You need thick at least 3-layer walls that can absorb the heat blast without melting.

Fine (under 3-layer-thick) prints might deform, might work if they get refrigerated first but I haven’t tried this far.

Gotta let the model cool down a bit between air blasts to do the other side(s).

If you only print occasionally get a large seal-able plastic box to store your PLA in and a bunch of $2 humidity traps from the dollar-store to shove in that box (I filled half my container with those humidity traps). It has worked great for me, dried up even bad cheap PLA after a few months of just sitting in that box.

I’ve been looking for another slow cheap food dehydrator (since the last one melted itself) for faster drying but turns out I print infrequently enough that the humidity traps are sufficient if I round-robin the spools.

Hey everybody I made something! Thought about you while making it @eried