4 Pin OLED Display

(Ece) #1

I am trying to built my own Arduboy and I am thinking about buying an Arduino Pro Micro. But I already have a 4 pinned OLED display so i am wondering if I can use it with Arduboy or should I buy a 7 (or 8 I am not sure) pinned display?

Short answer: Get a 7 pin display (if you’re patient you can get one very cheap)

Arduboy uses a SPI interface to send data to the display. But your 4 pin display uses an slower I2C interface. To use that display you would need to modify the libraries.

I remember someone did modify the libraries for using an Arduino Nano with a I2C display but I can’t remember who that was and how well it works. One thing is for sure though. Some games will play slower.

(Scott) #3

(Ece) #4

This is my school project so I need to be really quick but I couldn’t find any 7 pin OLED. Instead, I found an 8 pin one (blue and yellow colored) and one Youtuber was making the Arduboy with that. Do you know the difference between them? Also thanks for the answer:)

(Ece) #5

If I use Arduino Uno and connect the buttons to the same inputs would it work? I think Nano and Uno have the same microcontroller but should I make some changes to use this library on Uno?

(Scott) #6

Yes, the Nano and Uno have same processor and pin designations. I don’t think any changes to the harbaum library will be needed.

(Ece) #7

I couldn’t understand how to use this library. Explanations describe the Arduboy2 library but not the Slimboy.

(Scott R) #8

I don’t think this library compiles for a combination of 32u4 and i2c oled without modifications.

(Scott) #9

Assuming you’re using an UNO, and have wired it to match the Fritzing diagram given in the harbaum repository (substituting the UNO for the Nano), I think you just have to copy the files from this library in place of the original Arduboy2 library in the Arduino/libraries folder.

(Scott R) #10

I’ve used this with a Pro Mini clone and a nano so would assume it works pretty much with any 328p

The git also links to some modified audio libraries.

@ecozabeth to use you need to download put the library into your libraries folder.