5 Colours on the Arduboy using the Arduboy library!

I have been working on a project for a long time that involves making multiple shades of grey on the Arduboy. The Arduboy is great, but sometimes black and white images are just not enough to display the images that you need. So I have been working my heart away, creating the world’s first Arduboy image with 5 SHADES OF GREY!

This image only shows 4 shades of grey, so you’ll just have to trust me on that one. :wink:

So how do I do this? I’m simply just flickering multiple images on the Arduboy screen at once.
Here is the code:
https://oldbrowser.files.fm/u/n4dx4ujn
I had to use https://files.fm because github is not letting me upload files. If someone could help me with that I would greatly appreciate it. :grin:
If you would like to use this concept, feel free to do whatever you want with it!

(Miloslav Číž) #2

Hello, looks cool :slight_smile:

People here have tried this already, e.g. here.

What’s not working? Do you have an account?

Also small files and short code you can upload here at this forum in a comment. You can either really upload a file (there’s a button for it), or you can paste the code in the comments and hide it in details:

For example if you write:

[details="click for code"]
```
int main()
{
  return 0;
}
```
[/details]

It will look like:

click for code
int main()
{
  return 0;
}

For this you should put up some open source license, because people won’t want to rely on your word. You have to choose a license (common ones are for example MIT, Apache 2.0, GPL 3.0, …) and then it’s as simple as putting a comment in your source code that says you’re using it (e.g. // released under MIT license). GitHub/GitLab has a special button for automatically adding a license once you get it to work.

(Pharap) #3

Did you not add a README.md or a LICENSE file when you created the repo?

For some reason if you don’t add a README.md or a LICENSE when you first make a repo, GitHub won’t let you upload through drag&drop or the upload button, it will only accept git powered upload.

For the Arduboy, BSD 3-clause is more common than the GPL.
Hardly anyone uses the GPL.

(Miloslav Číž) #4

Thanks I forgot that one. Anyway, MIT is probably closest to the intended “do whatever you want” (or alternatively my favorite CC0).

… but can it do 40 shades of gray? … crickets … ok ok I’m leaving now

If I tried having 40 shades of grey, the Arduboy would only run at 1.5 frames per second, and it wouldn’t look grey anymore. Also, the Arduboy probably won’t have enough space to store the fourty images for the 40 shades of grey.

(Simon) #7

I think he was referring to the book (or maybe the film)?

(Scott R) #8

Wouldn’t that leave out the good bits and be ten shades short?

(Simon) #9

I guess so … what was @sjm4306 referring to then?

typo meant 50 shades not 40 … damn fingers too cold to type in the morning

(Simon) #11

I thought so … I read it initially and knew exactly what you were talking about and didn’t even notice the typo.

(Cody) #12

What about 50 shades​:rofl::rofl::rofl: