A couple of generic questions about arduboy development (loop function, up/down fx reset, EEPROM, Emulator etc)

That page and collection is really old, my 1st implementation of waternet (on gp2x) was more than a decade ago… Nowadays there even exists “ports” of the collection on phones at least on android i know it exists but i never tried it myself … see here for example.

Yes its a font well alphabet i made for the gameboy thats why it’s so “phat” as it was hard to read narrower fonts on the real device, i also use another font on another position in the game but that section is not visible in the gif

Ah good to know i initially thought when looking through the documentation it was a sprite class specifically for making games and as i knew i did not really need that i kinda skipped on reading what it was about as the drawing of (parts of the) bitmaps was enough for me

will change it, it are things like this i’m usually not aware off

yes thats true, however since i call the function i made sure to always have currentTiles have a value but i could add. I’m basically saying i’m not writing a library and the chances on someone else using the functions besides me in this game are slim. I only created them to aid in porting the game from gameboy

(object) Pascal is still strong nowadays well i mean Delphi, it’s not borland or codegear anymore but embarcadero owning it and they kind of make a new release almost every year. All programs at work are written in Delphi. I really like it’s all native windows api and does not require a runtime (unlike dot net etc) and they have portable gui libraries as well now so you can compile for mac, linux android iphone etc

1 Like

I’ve come across these before. They look really nice, it’s a shame they only released in South Korea.

Ah, I think that means you’ve been programming for longer than I have.

In which case, sorry if I’ve been ‘teaching you to suck eggs’ at any point. We get a lot of novice programmers so I prefer to presume less knowledge rather than more, to avoid making inexperienced programmers feel “dumb” by talking about something they haven’t learnt about yet.

Even if you only cover the basic Latin alphabet it’s still technically a font.

I wasn’t actually expecting this to be the case, but it makes sense, especially if you’ve been used to dealing with the Game Boy family, which do differentiate heavily between ‘bitmap mode’ and ‘sprites mode’. (At least, the GBA and Famicon/NES did, so I presume the GB was similar.)

Really it’s only a minor thing. After C++11 NULL was redefined to nullptr anyway.
I just mentioned it because it stands out quite a bit.

If you need some useful C++ references I keep a list here that you might be interested in (along with some references on other topics).

(For best practices I recommend the C++ Core Guidelines, written by members of the ISO C++ committee and others.)

Fair enough. I just thought I’d mention it because I wasn’t sure if it was just erroring silently.

(I’ve got a feeling that nullptr ends up as address 0 and that address 0 is technically a valid address on AVR, which might result in a ‘silent error’, but I’ve never bothered to test what dereferencing a nullptr actually does on AVR.)

I find that quite surprising simply because I rarely hear any mention of Delphi. It’s not that I can’t imagine it being used, just that I’ve never really seen it mentioned much.

It sounds decent enough aside from the fact it’s freemium rather than open source.

Anyway, I’m probably starting to get a bit off-topic.

You could be like me and code right up to 99% and then your game doesn’t work and then you give up and wait until I make the console developed on rp2040.

1 Like

It doesn’t mean i’m good at it all or can’t learn, especially when it comes to C/C++ it’s sometimes trial & error and might contain errors or faults :slight_smile: I’m sure once i commit my code and you guys look at it you find all kind of weird things :slight_smile: (actually kind of afraid of that hehe). But before i can release i need to playtest a bit more already found 2 small bugs i had to fix

btw Delphi ain’t free, there is a community edition where you can do things in but for commercial software you need to buy a license you also need to buy it if you want to receive the sources of the component library etc so you can make changes to it (which we did at work). Maybe your mixing things up with the lazarus project ? although have not check if thats open source or not

1 Like

No, but sometimes it’s hard to tell what people do and don’t know, even if you know which languages they’re used to using.

E.g. C# technically has pointers, but most C# programmers will never touch them because their usage is very niche, so guessing if a C# programmer knows about pointers is a tough call.

Nope, I’m just going by what Wikipedia says. It has the licence listed as ‘Freemium’.
I’m guessing that’s either outdated, wrong, or someone misinterpreting the meaning of ‘freemium’.