Any arduboy developers using a more advanced ide than Arduino?

Greetings!
Just got my Arduboy last week and have been messing around with it but using the Arduino IDE has really humbled me by making me feel like I’m back in high school before code highlighting, intellisense and code completion where part of my everyday workflow.

I’m on Mac so today I tried to get Xcode with the EmbedXCode plugin, which advertises that it can build right to the board. While there is a option to build for the Leonardo board, the quickstart tutorial I followed wouldn’t build with an error saying it’s unable to find the USB serial port.

I’ve been able to upload to my Arduboy before with this cord but today it seems like the computer is having a hard time sensing the USB. I was even having trouble uploading with the Arduino app today.

First thing tomorrow I’ll be replacing the cord and then I’ll see if there is any workaround to get build working in Xcode. Maybe tryout a different IDE. I might have to settle with my fallback app Sublime Text but that is just a text editor.

Does anyone have any experience getting a more modern IDE to work with the Arduboy? Is something with all my favorite features in the pipeline? With maybe an ETA?

I’m new to electronics and Arduino but I do code so I’ll share anything I learn about getting alternative IDEs working.

1 Like

Hi ryan!

Had the same issue and i’ve found PlattformIO for Atom.
It can build and upload to Arduino directly and hast code completion with clang -yay.
I’m also on mac and i use it since this morning since i could get it to work earlier lol.

Download Atom with PlattformIO preinstalled here:

Copy the arduboy library from ~/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Arduboy
to the PlattformIO libs at ~/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoavr/libraries.

Fire up Atom and in the Menubar select PlattformIO.
There you can init a new project or import an existing.
When you have to select a board make sure to select Arduino Leonardo.

:v:

2 Likes

I personally use Vim and a Makefile, or vim to edit and then pull the file into the IDE to compile : )

Here’s another option.

http://community.arduboy.com/t/visual-studio-arduino-arduboy-plugin/1481

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the hint with PlatformIO IDE :+1:

I’m glad to inform that we have released new PlatformIO CLI 2.9.3 today with full support for Arduboy. The usage is VERY SIMPLE!

1. Install PlatformIO IDE.
  2. Open Menu: PlatformIO > Library Manager CLI and install Arduboy library typing pio lib install 192.
  3. Menu: Initialize new Project and select Arduboy board from the list. Place source code to src folder of the project
  4. Press Build/Upload! :upside_down:

5 Likes

Hello, I’ve followed that guide in order to have PlatformIO working, but when I try to build an Arduboy project I have the following error.

.pioenvs/arduboy/libFrameworkArduino.a(main.o): In function `main':
/home/jose/development/Arduboy/games/test/.pioenvs/arduboy/FrameworkArduino/main.cpp:40: undefined reference to `setup'
/home/jose/development/Arduboy/games/test/.pioenvs/arduboy/FrameworkArduino/main.cpp:43: undefined reference to `loop'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [.pioenvs/arduboy/firmware.elf] Error 1
========================= [ ERROR ] Took 1.38 seconds =========================

Did you have to do anything else to have the IDE working?

You’re awesome! :smiley: Thanks!

You should implement void setup() and void loop() methods in your main file/sketch.

1 Like

Well, thanks… I just included Arduboy.h and build for test, but I see, I need the main methods to build.

1 Like