Anyone making a new game?

The anti-aliased fonts look great. It looks like its based on a 3x5 or 3x6 pixel font. It will be interesting to see much more readable this makes the text. The photo looks impressive!

That should be interesting. His game ‘Rooftop Rescue’ was perfect.

PPOT and @clintonium-119 are progressing with Prince of Persia - but we have a long, long way to go.

Here are some action shots:

ArduboyRecording(2)

ArduboyRecording(4)

Some of the graphics (the title screen in particular) need a lot of clean up but its slowly getting there. All the images and level maps are being sourced from the FX chip. I am finding the devil is in the detail when it comes to movements in this one - for example, making sure that the prince is in the ‘correct’ position before jumping up (so that you do not have to move the player horizontally to ensure they land actually on the level) without making the game to precise. Nobody wants to play a game where you have to be exactly at the right spot to do something.

I have noticed in the original that sometimes the prince magically jumps a few pixels left / right to perform certain tasks. I am proud to say that I am having the same issues as Jordan Mechner! Makes me feel that I am getting better as a programmer :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Did you ever determine the rights to the game? It might need a different name…

Take it with a pinch of salt, but Reddit seems to think Ubisoft own the rights.

To be honest, I doubt “Prince of Persia” could be copyrighted trademarked because it’s a real title that has been in use, though the fact ‘Persia’ technically no longer exists and the title is no longer in active use might be cited as a potential loophole.

If they were to kick-off, they’re likely to cite ‘look and feel’ as complaints anyway, so changing the title would probably only avoid grabbing attention, it likely wouldn’t prevent legal action.

That said, a title change might at least avoid acquiring unwanted attention.

@filmote, if you are in the market for a new name, might I suggest “Prince of Lemuria” or “Prince of Zealandia”?

(I’m hoping you’ll get the reference/joke, but those are quite obscure ‘places’, so possibly not.)

Lol yes reddit is great legal advice. It’s not the copyright I’m as interested in as the trademark. Earlier post seemed to indicate the author of the game retains the rights to the trademark.

In all cases Jordan knows Press Play On Tape from our version of Karateka on Pokitto and never bothered us. He even liked it.

Probably unlikely to be a problem. And we dont make money with it.

1 Like

Ouch, thanks for reminding me. It unfortunately ended up the pile of unfinished projects. I will see if I can pick it up.

Here’s a gameplay fragment
ArduboyRecording2

7 Likes

That’s looking really good … please finish it!

1 Like

ArduboyRecording(6)

Some progress … although the Prince can still run in mid-air at times and fall through solid walls!

6 Likes

Cool! You can even adapt this game to this Blackthorne - Nintendo SNES - Games Database

I am having enough trouble completing this game as it is ! :slight_smile:

You’re luring me into muddy waters :slight_smile: It was 99% done but I optimized so much that there is hardly any wiggling room left to improve gameplay. But I’ll activate the repo in case anyone wants to have a look at it.

BTW PoP clone looks awesome!

1 Like

Thank you … its very fiddly.

So … you can make it use the FX. That should free up a heap of space!

Well, that would be kind of lame as the idea was to fit a seemingly ‘large’ game onto a standard Arduboy. Also, I don’t own an FX. :grimacing:

But the Arduboy is out, now wait until I dare open Arduino and look at the code hacks after a year lol

1 Like

There are still some huge limitations even with the FX. It doesn’t give you ram or progmem - just some extra memory that you must handle into the existing limtations of the device.