Ardu-Game-Boy [WIP]

I fancied building a 2.42"OLED display into a Gameboy classic case.
With some cutting, hotglue, black label tape and the right lens the display looks very nice. There’s also plenty of room to put everything in neatly.

Still a work in progress. But just couldn’t wait sharing how cool it looks :smile:

Parts

Besides the Gameboy classic case (Gameboy DMG) I bought a lens and button PCB kit and some colorfull buttons. When buying a kit or lens. Make sure you get one with a small black bezel (there are lenses with a dark grey bezel too)

(Matt) #2

nice, it even has a pea greenish tint in the display.

The display is actually a green OLED but my phone has a problem capturing the green color correctly.

(fred ) #4

When your done you should make a build guide. It would be fun to make this.

(Boti Kis) #5

I love this. now i want one. thank you.

(Scott R) #6

Oh no another project :scream:

Awesome stuff didn’t you have a matching Arduboy?

(Kevin) #7

Green on green, I am a fan

(Simon) #8

Fantastic … love it.

I’ll post more pictures here and add some details.

Yes I like translucent green :smile:

Here’s where I started. I marked the outline of the display area with a hobby knife then cut away most of the excess plastic inside the marked area with a rotary tool and used a hobby knife again to cut away the last bits for nice straight lines.

once the display fits nicely I stuck the lens onto the front using masking tape so the display can rest on it while you hotglue it securely from the inside. Make sure you add enough hotglue around the display without any air gaps /holes (this will help prevent getting dust on the display.

After the hotglue has hardened you can remove the lens again and add aome thin black tape (I used some from a label printer). After applying the tape I cut away about ~2.5mm of tape around the edges with a hobby knife. so the lens adhesive can stick to the case securely.

Display hot glued

Black tape added

(Holmes) #10

Man, imagine somehow being able to use a giant screen like people have done with Pi’s, except it’s just black/white. <3

(Boti Kis) #11

Same. Now i really want to build this too.

(Holmes) #12

I am already buying some stuff online, including some Gameboy shells.

If there is interest in making a GameBoy-shaped ‘kit’, I still have the PCB designs I used for these: