Ardu-man: ("inspired" by Pac-Man)

Re-live the nostalgic glory of games like Pac-Man and Lock ‘n’ Chase (with a few less pixels…) right on your Arduboy!

About

• Chomp all the dots to get to the next level
  • Extra life at 10,000 points
  • Big pills let you go on a killing rampage
  • Collect fruit for extra points
  • Original “music”
  • Saves highscores (uses Ardubreakout’s code as slot 8, find EEPROM_HIGH_SCORE_SAVE_SLOT to change)
  • Has sound toggle
  • Tons of options in ardu_main.h can be tweaked - if you want to play a game with 10 ghosts, you can!

Gif:

Want a preview before installing? Play it in your browser right now! http://www.rtsoft.com/arduman.html (see here for info on how this was done)

Installation

My first arduboy game, lemmie know what you think or if I screwed anything up.

Known bugs:

• Sometimes a level ends a dot or two too soon.
  • It’s possible to kill more than four ghosts in one go, but I let this slide as I thought it was cool, risk reward thing

Game requests (from a non programmer!)
Eried's Unofficial Repo :)
Need help with C++
It's for a school project
Eried's Unofficial Repo :)
"Semi-Official" Game List for the Arduboy
(Boti Kis) #2

Oh boy, great job!
Will try it in the afternoon when i’m back home.

(Tom Stewart) #3

My possibly defective recollection is that you could also kill >4 in real PacMan. No?

(Matt) #4

For me this doesn’t compile because I think you have used the development branch of the Arduboy Library instead of the stable release… The usual ArduboyPlayTune and ab_printer compilation errors as these aren’t in the stable release of the Library.

Thanks. I’ve tweaked the description a bit to make it clearer which branch is used, also, that ArduboyPlayTunes is required

(Darkam) #6

Nice work, can’t wait to get my Arduboy to try it and give feedback :slight_smile:

(Brian) #7

Got it working, good game. I like that it remembers the direction you pressed so you don’t have to judge the corners exactly. the top-and-bottom teleporters reminds me of the Atari 2600 version :slight_smile:

(However, switching to the 1.2 version of the Arduboy library seems to break a lot of the other games :frowning: )

(Scott) #8

It’s really not a good idea use Arduboy library V1.2. Version 1.2 is a pre-release version that’s still under development. The ArduboyPlaytune library is also still under development and hasn’t been released.

If people install this version of the library to play your game, most of their other sketches will fail to compile because they rely features in the V1.1 library that are incompatible with V1.2

If at all possible, please modify this game to work with Arduboy library V1.1

(Holmes) #9

This is beautifully fantastic! Nice game! :smiley:

Thanks guys, I’ve put up a github version for arduboy library 1.1 on github here: https://github.com/SethRobinson/arduman_arduboylib11

It doesnt work for me :cry:

Arduino:1.6.9 (Linux), Tarjeta:“Arduino Leonardo”

In file included from sketch/Fruit.cpp:2:0:
sketch/Utils.h:4:24: fatal error: ab_printer.h: No such file or directory
#include “ab_printer.h”
^
compilation terminated.
exit status 1
Error compilación en tarjeta Arduino Leonardo.

Este reporte podría tener más información con
"Mostrar salida detallada durante la compilación"
opción habilitada en Archivo -> Preferencias.

arduman_arduboylib11 works for me.

Love this game.

(Russell Hill) #13

I’m totally blown away by this game - really, really nice work!! Love the browser trial too…

(Migz) #14

Awesome job with this game, totally hints at the classic. I almost wish it had a bigger maze (as in wider paths) to fit on screen and bigger Ardu-man and ghosts, but awesome either way. :sunglasses:

Simply the best game on the Arduboy, by far, great job!!!.

(Josh Goebel) #16

Seth, did you come across this in your research:

Hmm, interesting, that looks useful, hadn’t heard about the “target tiles” concept before in its AI.

I did put in “bread crumbs” and a “normal” and “chase mode mode” that alternates randomly for the ghost AI but not much else.

“Scatter” and “Frightened” modes are missing completely, the ghosts should really change modes when a power pellet is consumed and wears off, that would help a lot I think.

Also, my ghosts don’t have individual personalities (they are all visually identical so that’s a problem) … I’m probably not going to work on it but anybody else is welcome to improve the game.

Before I can load it but now I have this error message,

/home/ramonml/Arduino/arduman_arduboylib11/arduman_arduboylib11.ino:1:21: fatal error: Arduboy.h: No such file or directory
#include <Arduboy.h>
^
compilation terminated.
exit status 1
Error compilación en tarjeta Arduino Leonardo.

(Josh Goebel) #19

They could still have the personalities without the visual distinction, but yeah that is a minor gotcha with such small sprites and no color. :slight_smile:

(Rayrayrayraydog) #20

Thank you! This is easily my favorite Arduboy game, so far the only one to hold my interest for more than a few minutes, but I’m admittedly a huge fan of Ms. Pac-Man. I was able to build the arduboylib11 version without any issue. Do you think it would be possible to speed up the player and ghosts (think Ms. Pac-Man w/ speed hack fast) or are we limited by the hardware here?