ArduBigBOY (WAS: My Homemade: Pro Micro, SSD1309, with Flash Cart)

(Kevin) #81

If you want to try and smooth the print out more you can also use body filler like bondo and then sand that down. If you work it when its in it’s green state then its waaaay easier to sand than the PLA.

(serisman) #82

Yep… will do that next time. This was just an experiment, to see if it was worth proceeding or not.

(jon yakowec) #83

Looks awesome, great job. If your looking to get a smoother print try enable smoothing in the print settings of your slicer. It helps a lot though it does add to the print time. When i made my homemade arduboy i enabled smoothing, then gave it a light sanding with 4000 grit sandpaper followed with a shot of clear coat.

(serisman) #84

I found some nicer / quieter switches that work great with the footprint that is already on the v1 PCB.

These feel / sound almost like the Arduboy’s buttons now. I still need to re-design the 3D printed case/buttons slightly to account for the extra height.

(Kevin) #85

Nice! Yeah these seem like ALPS of copies of their soft touch design. Looks nice!

(Kea Oliver) #86

When i made a pigirl thing I used whatever cheap switches. It was so loud and irritating. Quiet switches are important.

@serisman

I am trying to build a tiny Arduboy with flash cart built in. As the foot print is small, I want to convert the Pro micro board to operate at 3.3V so the 3.3V serial flash can be connected without the level shifter . I replaced the on board 5V regulator with a 3.3V version and blink is working fine. Before I test the serial flash, I want to check whether the serial flash (3.3V) will be damaged if I connect the USBasp (5V) to burn the Cat3K boot loader onto the chip? How did you handle this in your design ?

(serisman) #88

I converted my USBasp to also run off of 3.3V. :grinning:

Instructions here:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=469753.0

or here:
http://jimlaurwilliams.org/wordpress/?p=4803 (Look at the ‘Update: Signal level warning!’ section)

(Kevin) #89

Oh I don’t know if you caught this but this was featured on Adafruits blog:

That’s very helpful. Thanks for sharing.

This is the schematics of what I plan to make - I will name it “ArduBaby”.
Replacing the on board 5V regulator with a 3.3V one works but has a drawback that the board will always be powered up even during charging of the battery.
So, modified the schematics to use an external regulator like what @Mr.Blinky and @serisman suggested.
But the additional external 3V regulator takes up additional space. To make the board smaller, I am trying to replace the 3.3V regulator with a divide to drop 0.7V from the 3.7-4.2V to get 3.0 to 3.7V.

(Jean Charles Lebeau) #92

Thanks for the schematics