Not entirely true because I loose days at a time doing fulfillment or other stuff.
I think I got into hot water because the fact that “Arduboy” has some how gained sentience and like become somewhat of a recognized brand of some sorts. So when people saw something was for “pre-order” or whatever they just ignored the backorder notice and they ignored the “estimated” part of the ship date and just really wanted it.
See here is the thing: I thought I was gonna sell maybe 100 or 200 of these things, and I thought it was going to be a push to get that by christmas.
My whole plan was to just exhaust the supply of Arduboy so that Seeed studio would be sorta “forced” to make more units if they wanted to continue their own sales.
But instead I got 10 times that, and demand from my distributors for the new product was also much higher than I anticipated so I was like, ok shit.
I spent an entire month trying to figure out if it was possible, and trying to get together everything I needed for another production batch. I didn’t want to announce it straight away because there was a chance that it could be too expensive, or the logistics etc wouldn’t work.
That work also included actually finalizing the PCB and artwork for the new production. Luckily I had already planning on having this ready… but next year some time.
Again, I wasn’t totally sure what I was going to do at that time. Really I thought maybe I would just have to cancel all of the orders I couldn’t fulfill.
I’ve already been accused of “overpromising and underdeliving” on this product launch by making it potentially 4 months late, but really what has transpired is the result of me trying to save everyone’s orders, lock in the next production batch, and have confidence about THE NEW timeline.
Things changed very rapidly when I put up the pre-orders, I started to plan for this contingency probably sometime in the first few weeks.
I’ve also been in contact with @mr.blinky about all of this too, and while he hasn’t been responsible for any of the decisions he has always been a very helpful sanity check for me as far as the decisions I’m making and if they are fair for the customer.
For example, he suggested that we verify ALL of the mod chips, even if they weren’t being pre-programmed in order to catch any problems with the boards. I thought this was a lot of extra work, considering another mod chip could easily be sent out, but I realized that he is looking out for the customer experience, nobody wants a DOA mod chip.
So I tested each and every mod-chip and found a whole 3 that failed. But then I think about that, that’s actually pretty cool. Because he mentioned it, and I spent a couple extra hours doing it for everyone… it actually made a real difference to 3 people.