Arduboy colors?

(Pharap) #41

I think an RPG would probably use the most amount of code, depending on what the battle system was like.

Either a top down realtime combat system or a side-scrolling platformer would be cheaper, depending on how good the enemy AI would have to be and whether the worlds would be procedurally generated or hand crafted.

It’s probably best to start off with laying out the story to figure out how big it would have to be.
You might be better off just stretching the story over multiple games rather than trying to cut things out, in which case you could probably pick any genre that suited what you wanted to do.

(Matt) #42

just look at arduventure, hardly any text at all. Although to be fair, I get the impression they spent a lot of their space budget on the music.

(Angel Ramos) #43

I like the idea of splitting the story to different games. Does it cost a lot of money to make a game like that?

(Simon) #44

Agreed … it takes about 2Kb or more to squeeze a single note out of ATMLib. But the results are worth it!

(Simon) #45

Assume you meant memory. In which case no … you can store your game state (player health, inventory) in the EEPROM and when you load the next game you simply read these in. Depending on how you break the game, things like enemy states is probably irrelevant as you are probably leaving one ‘world’ and entering another.

I have a mechanism in Lode Runner to support exactly this. To ensure that people loaded the games in a specific sequence (and didn’t jump from game 1 to 3, I write the current game number to the EEPROM as well and then check thatcheck that when I start the next game. In my version it is all clear text however you could do some masking or encryption to prevent people from tweaking the EEPROM and skipping a game. Would anyone do that?

(Angel Ramos) #46

What type of music could be put into a game? Could it be like a Metallica song? Or is it more like an original only beats and tones style music

(Simon) #47

The massive bass speaker on the Arduboy is well suited to metal :slight_smile: You can have proper music but it is really suited to higher pitched music. Download a couple of games that use it and see for yourself.

Also, complex music takes a lot of memory and most people use a tune that can be played endlessly (annoyingly).

(Angel Ramos) #48

Oh okay! I kind of assumed you need to put money into the making of the games to get better quality stuff? I’m not that educated with this stuff but I know they teach you how to create the games… so it only comes down to the amount of space that is taken up?

(Simon) #49

All the tools are free on the Arduboy.

(Angel Ramos) #50

I’d like to put some music into the game but really mostly at the “final battle” part of the story. So the last game (if I decide to split the story into parts) would have space for a battle and music, not much story.

(Simon) #51

Have you worked though @crait’s tutorials? These are a great place to start.

https://community.arduboy.com/t/make-your-own-arduboy-game-part-1-setting-up-your-computer/2336/26

(Pharap) #52

From what I’ve heard music takes an incredible amount of space.
I rarely bother with it.

It doesn’t require money, it requires time.

The only reason triple-A games are so expensive are because of the amount of time spend making them and number of highly skilled people working on them.
Those people have to be paid because they’re doing it for a job.

If you’re making the game in your free time then all it costs is your free time (and a bit of electricity, and obviously the cost of the Arduboy itself).
You develop the skills yourself using free resources,
and you just try your best to make what you can.

An 8-bit version maybe.

Although it’s best to stay away from copyrighted music if possible.
I doubt Metallica would come after you with a lawsuit, but theoretically they could do.

It’s an 8-bit monochrome console, you don’t need to hire an orchestra.

All the tools you need to make games are free, and the forums and the internet are full of freely accessible information, and there’s loads of experienced people here to give advice and help out.

You don’t have to pay a single penny, but you have to be willing to put time and effort in to learn the skills, and/or be prepared to team up with someone who does have the skills.

Before you go overboard with designing your game, try to make a simple game first and get to grips with the basics.

It always seems easy when you’ve got the idea in your head, but there’s a lot of work involved and it’s often hard to keep motivated.
You can’t just jump in and make something amazing overnight, you have to develop the skills first.

Fortunately there’s people here who can help and offer advice,
so it will be easier than if you were trying to do it all on your own.

(Matt) #53

Great advice. A Tetris or a breakout or something like that might not seem exciting, but you’ll learn a ton and be better equipped to take on your dream game

(Simon) #54

Unless you are napster … in which case they will definitely come after you.

The good thing is that the songs are almost unrecognisable once converted (maybe not with ATMLib but definitely the other libraries) so there is little risk of a lawsuit.

Even Tic Tac Toe (or Noughts and Crosses).

(Pharap) #55

I had heard of the napster thing, but I didn’t realise one of the lawsuits was from metallica.

(Angel Ramos) #56

Thanks for the advice! Yea I know for a fact it will take some type to make a complex story line but I will try and start with little things first and work my way up. I just got my arduboy today a few hours ago, it started off with Sirène. Y’all have any advice on a fun game to play?

I’d say that tripple A’s cost lay in marketing esp. since the devs are criminally underpaid. Besides most of them are just rehashed montinized versions of previous games running off the same engine.

(Simon) #58

Metallica copped a lot of criticism at the time for their ‘heavy handed’ approach to Napster. This was at their height and people were saying that they were just money hungry. I cannot see how you can criticise someone for protecting their interests …

(Pharap) #59

Totally not biased suggestions:

Some other picks:

And anything from the three game jams:

Some companies do at least try to keep things at top quality still.
Sadly as time goes by companies are getting more and obsessed with money grabbing tactics like loot boxes and freemium.

That’s one of the reasons consoles like the Arduboy are doing quite well - buy the console, get 200-odd games for free, plus the opportunity to write your own.

(Simon) #60

Thanks for the praise!