Arduboy Crank Mod

Maybe you could show a image of the rotary encode with the pins labeled? It is not clear which pin of the rotary encoder is what.

Thats what data sheets are for!

Second result on google image search:

Good news! Am I going to receive the three “Ardugirls” I paid for? Will my games be on it? “The guy who never complains”, “Cutie E” and “Square Nose”. (I am adding new features to this last one.)

1 Like

I think you can see where we are going.

That still doesn’t tell us if D2 is connected to out A or out B

If you’re looking for another crank mod game you could always patch Bone Shakers and use the crank to pedal the unicycle!

3 Likes

Rotary encoder version’s source is here.

Last year, I modified my SanSan’s D&U(Dungeons & Unicycles) for rotary encoder.
Perhaps you can also play with Arduboy Crank Mod.

Maybe some modification is needed in this part:

// (dandu_rot.ino)
#define ENC_A  3
#define ENC_B  0
#define ENC_SW  2

arduboy.flipHorizontal(true);       //-> remove
arduboy.flipVertical(true);

//pinMode(ENC_A, INPUT_PULLUP);
//pinMode(ENC_B, INPUT_PULLUP);
pinMode(ENC_SW, INPUT_PULLUP);

attachInterrupt(0, ENC_READ, CHANGE);
attachInterrupt(1, ENC_READ, CHANGE);
attachInterrupt(2, ENC_READ, CHANGE);
6 Likes

Adafruit trying to stir up some trouble:

What?

“Arduboy looks like the gadget equivalent of a home haircut.”

Sounds about right; it’s fun and affordable!

1 Like

Oh snap … them’s fighting words lol. In all seriousness though these are all sort of niche, hobbyist products so I don’t get the whole “lets put down a competitor even though our consumer base probably includes them”. Reminds me of how sega and atari routinely made fun of the nintendo gameboy in their portables’ advertising.

1 Like

Lol, arduboy is on a roll getting HAD coverage!

6 Likes

I can imagine a Mystic Balloon sequel that uses the crank to give you a little lift with the balloons :smiley:

2 Likes

The hell, they just ran the education article yesterday.

Also, old news.

2 Likes

Just saw that someone got doom on this thing pretty impressive results with the display refresh.

4 Likes

That reminds me I need to test this lcd with a homemade Arduboy.

1 Like

Did there ever end up being any docs on this? I had a few questions.

1. Is that the Mr. Blinky breakout from those docs?
  2. Did you re write the d pad to be the rotary, or was it i2c or something?

Yes it uses the flash mod @Mr.Blinky developed.

The encoder is on pins 2 and 3 and the button is reset.

If there is a “cartridge” (with extended backside that, say, snaps to the Arduboy and have the crank sideways) that wires up the encoder, we can save worries about these type of “crank mod”.
But then, it also mean that the people that don’t have crank mod don’t get to play these games, despite the fact that adding mods are filled with good intentions.

The Playdate just got a pretty technical preview: Playdate preview: You won’t believe how fun this dorky, $179 game system is | Ars Technica. The price feels high to me, but I’m curious how much of that is going to pay the initial set of developers for their efforts, versus the hardware BOM and manufacturing cost.

When it was first announced I was all hyped and prepared to pay $179. But now after so much time I’m not that interrested anymore.

Also realizing that the price is excluding tax and shipping (website mentions $179 plus taxes & shipping). So a $200+ ($250+ for me) price tag really puts me off.

3 Likes