Arduboy doesn't appear in port

very new to this. My arduboy doesn’t show up in ports. I’m on a mac (10.11.4). I’ve downloaded all the software and followed the getting started instructions.

Arduboy is connected, Arduboy is turned on, I have a bright red light on arduboy. The only port option I have is /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port.

Any help and direction would be appreciated.

So I’m not terribly Mac savvy. I do know that for linux you are required to load the module to allow the TTYACM0 to be found. In linux’s case:

$ modprobe cdc_acm

And there may be something similar like this for Mac OS. We have some very strong Mac users in the house and hopefully they can offer some input. There are a few other threads in the issues category that have dealt with a similiar issue. It might also be worth using the search feature of the community to find related topics while we wait for others to weigh in.

TTYACM0? What is this?

So, you are on the right track with looking in the /dev/ folder for the serial connection.

Looking at the Arduino Troubleshooting guide might be the best bet for defining what /dev/ttyACM0 is.

See here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#toc1.

It is essentially the file handle to interface with the hardware unit that will be used by the system to read and write to the Arduboy hardware.

In Mac, it most likely will be named differently, but maybe not.

Here is the section relevant to your issue from the guide above:

On Linux, the Uno and Mega 2560 show up as devices of the form /dev/ttyACM0. These are not supported by the standard version of the RXTX library that the Arduino software uses for serial communication. The Arduino software download for Linux includes a version of the RXTX library patched to also search for these /dev/ttyACM* devices. There’s also an Ubuntu package (for 11.04) which includes support for these devices. If, however, you’re using the RXTX package from your distribution, you may need to symlink from /dev/ttyACM0 to /dev/ttyUSB0 (for example) so that the serial port appears in the Arduino software.

Run:

sudo usermod -a -G tty yourUserName
sudo usermod -a -G dialout yourUserName

Log off and log on again for the changes to take effect.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#toc1

Also, have you downloaded the newest IDE for your OS and installed it?

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

It doesn’t hurt to make sure it’s absolutely the newest version.

Also, if you would, try a few different cables, make sure you are using a data type micro-usb cable.

If you can plug your cell phone into your computer and access the disks on your cell phone with that cable, then it is capable of transmitting data. Some micro-usb cables are just for power, and have no wires for TX/RX

thanks for your patience. I managed to get the port issue resolved, by using a different USB cable (always check the fuse first…)

but now, I get the following error when going to
sketch->verify/compile:
Arduino: 1.6.8 (Mac OS X), Board: “Arduino Leonardo”

/Users/actmbp/Documents/Arduino/Arduboy-master/examples/ArduBreakout/ArduBreakout.ino:16:29: fatal error: ArduboyPlaytune.h: No such file or directory
#include <ArduboyPlaytune.h>
^
compilation terminated.
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Leonardo.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

1 Like

Cool, glad to hear it.

Let me load up the example myself and see if I can reproduce it. Can I ask how you installed the Arduboy Library, and if you used a guide which? I am going to try and remove some of the guides that might steer a user wrong.

Installing the Arduboy Library using the Library Manager

The best way to install the library is through the Library manager found in the main menu under the Sketch sub menu.

The menu entry is, Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries....

Once the Library Manager panel is open, do a search for the Arduboy unit and load the latest version of the library, v1.1.

If you used Github to install the Arduboy Library

In the case you cloned the Arduboy Library from the Github repository, then you most likely cloned the master repo, and that is a working copy of the newest version, not the v1.1 release.

Delete the Arduboy folder in your libraries folder and install the library using the Arduino IDE Library Manager.

I used the get started guide in the main community page.

I followed the guide here:
http://community.arduboy.com/t/tutorial-just-starting-out-lets-configure-your-environment/380

I followed your recommendation above and installed the Arduboy library using the Library Manager (v1.1.0)

Still getting the same error

1 Like

Not sure what I did, other than quitting the Arduino software and relaunching, but all seems to work now.

Again, thanks for your patience and thanks for your help

1 Like

Any time! Glad you got it going. I’m going to close the thread here. Please feel free to create a new one if you run into a new issue : )

Happy programming!