Arduboy for a total beginner

(Ben) #1

First of all I’ll say hello since this is my first post! I don’t want to bore with my life story, but I’m from the UK and have just taken advantage of the black Friday deal on Arduboy.com!

I’m an electrical engineer (unfortunately moved into management) and I’ve also always loved to build unusual and sometimes dangerous devices at home in my free time. I’ve tinkered with Arduino in the past, but I didn’t really latch on until recently when I purchased a huge Elegoo Arduino kit.

I’ve built a few things and I’m getting to grips with just identifying what the code does and modifying it for fun. I certainly don’t come from any kind of a coding background, but can work my way around a PC fine.

So I guess my question is have any of you been in a similar situation (being a total beginner) when you got your Arduboy, and made a game yourself since?

I’ve seen the wealth of resources on here and I look forward to using them soon!

(Boti Kis) #2

First of all welcome to our community!

We had a lot of beginners on different levels and I’m pretty confident that everyone is willing to help. :slight_smile:
The best way start is our quickstart guide.

And now some questions for you:
Do you have any experience in coding?
If so do you have experience with C++?

Next, there is no recipe for making games. Find ideas, sketch them and think about how it is possible to realize them with the limits of the hardware. :slight_smile:

(Ben) #3

Thank you!

In response to your questions, no and…no :sweat_smile: I’m definitely going to put some time aside and go through all the fantastic looking resources on here. I like to think I have a logical mind, and I solve technical problems of all kinds for a living. I’m hoping that will give me enough to get started and not get totally lost!

Worst case though is like the Arduino itself. I’ve been having a lot of fun taking exisiting code and modifying it just to see what happens. Through a few hours of this it’s no longer looking like another language and I’m seeing the logic in it.

Thanks again and I’m excited to join the community!

(Daniel Pelletier) #4

Indeed as a newcomer myself, Welcome to the community !

I just received my arduboy in the mai land cannot wat to start the tutorials on this site… they seem to be well done and easy to understand.

I bought mine to educate my kid in the “art” of programming. I always saw the old school programmer as TRUE programmer for having to deal with huge limitation in RAM and CPU… I think that it forces us to think creatively to solve problems…

So you are not alone to start from nearly nothing !

(Kevin) #5

The real key is to search around, and also explore the tutorials section. If there is something you are trying to do, search for it and if there is no result then you can make a post.

It’s most important to stay energized and exciting. There are still a few “gotchas” in developing for the Arduboy which we are trying to streamline and make easier for beginners (but actually, this might make you a better programmer, cutting your teeth on some real life annoying challenges of developing). But as long as you stay interested and ask for help then it’s possible to do just about anything with the Arduboy.

(Alexander Sharikhin) #6

You can write game for arduboy :slight_smile:

I think that kind of engineers already have enougth prepared for it.

Creating of simple games are available even for children, just add some patitence and work - and success will be with you.

(Alexander Sharikhin) #7

There too much tutorials for just arduino(all basics are same), some tutorials for gamebuino are acceptable(except video output and controlls but you can replace it with samples from arduboy lessons, or with using compatibility library Gamebuino Library for Arduboy )

Hiya Ben! I’m a fellow electrical engineer as well! The best way I think besides tutorials as others have mentioned is to build off of and modify games that are already out there. And one of the biggest strengths of the Arduboy platform is that a good majority of games are completely open with well commented source code. So for example you can start by finding a publicly available simple Arduboy game and modfying game mechanics, tweaking enemy AI, even sprite swaps to get a hang of how the Arduboy libraries work and basic game design. Then when you are comfortable you can use the same code structure/libraries to make your own games so you don’t have to start from scratch. You can think of it like using a template or an application circuit to base a design off of. And if you need help with anything specific this forum has some of the most helpful members who can help you along the way.

(Scott R) #9

I’m far from great at programming actually I’m rubbish but I find it easier to jump in with modifying existing code and deal with the problems I make along the way. It’s surprising how much you can come to understand by skimming through the work of others.

Edit: I just pretty much echoed @sjm4306

Lol it’s all good @Keyboard_Camper, that just lends credence that the tinker and modify what already works method is a good idea!

(Kevin) #11

Do what works - Arduboy motto

(Ben) #12

Thank you all!

I definitely intend on following tutorials as much as I can and keep playing around until I start to see what’s going on. It never feels like such a chore when you have support :blush:

(Pharap) #13

That makes at least three of us (possibly more that I’m forgetting).

Personally I think it’s better to learn about the C++ language first and then apply it to the Arduboy.
But I find very few people have the patience for that.
(You’d also have to be aware of the differences between a normal C++ environment and an Arduino environment. I.e. no C++ standard library.)

If you want to attempt that route, the tutorial I usually recommend is this one:

I maintain a collection of resources that are useful for C++, gamedev and general programming:

You might find some of those useful, like the one about how binary works.

(Holmes) #14

I had learned programming in the past, but never actually used Arduino before getting my Arduboy. :slight_smile: Now, I make some pretty fun games for it. :smiley:

(Ben) #15

Thanks! That’s some interesting reading.

I think what I’ve found so far with Arduino, and I get the same feeling about Arduboy is that it makes programming much more…physical? I think because you have such an obvious (and satisfying!) end result that everyone can see and understand.

I suppose it helps that I’ve been building electronic circuits since I was a kid, so I feel familiar already with Arduino. It’s keeping me interested too!