Arduboy Game Jam!

OK sure! Please consider V0.1 as a submission. (We’ll post to the “[WIP] Huhuu is Hoo?” thread when V0.2 is ready.)

yes. no times. :cry:
I will give up submitting the contest.

umm… my job disturb my peaceful.
next month, i will submit my game! (not contest game)

1 Like

@akkera102 Looking forward to your new games! Your games are always awesome! Take it easy with your job in the meantime.

2 Likes

Hey everyone! I recorded Arduboy plays videos for each of the submissions but it is taking way too long to edit them all. I’ll continue to post them as they are done but I wanted to let you know…

Everyone who contributed a game for the Arduboy Game Jam will recieve a free Arduboy!

So if that’s you please reach out to us using the contact form and let us know your address information and we can ship that reward right out to you!

8 Likes

Damn, now I wish I had put aside time to submit an entry.
Next time I’ll make sure to enter.
(Then I can finally stop ‘borrowing’ my friend’s kickstarter unit.)

4 Likes

Is everyone ready for another jam soon? :star_struck:

5 Likes

ALWAYS! Although I am currently Woking on something I would love a good jam

3 Likes

I’ll clear some space in my calender!

:bomb::spiral_calendar: -> :boom:

1 Like

I wish I could but I just haven’t had time to learn enough code to finish my last game and am currently flopping in the wind and failing miserably trying to port an Arduino tamagotchi over to Arduboy plus a few other hardware projects…

!!! Yes! That would be great to have a tamagochi inhabit one of my spare Arduboys. Apart from the usual play eat etc cycles perhaps tie in a battery charge lookup so that the tamagochi nags you for a major recharge meal or something…

2 Likes

I’ve considered making a Tamagotchi in the past but I wasn’t sure how to handle the timing.

Tamagotchis go into a low power mode with a wake-up timer for timed events, but I don’t know if the Arduboy has similar functionality or how to go about using it.

@Keyboard_Camper

If you need help with anything code-related feel free to ask.

2 Likes

this is one of the projects I was looking at Tamaguino … probably 10 mins of Pharap Fu vs my 10 months + :joy:

4 Likes

Mine would have more classes and be less monolithic :P.
The source code itself is fairly straightforward, there’s just a lot of it.
(I think it would be fairly straightforward to port this by the way. Just substituting the sound and drawing calls and getting rid of the pin stuff should be enough.)

2 Likes

The processor can be put into Power-Down mode, which can be woken up by an interrupt generated by a button press. There aren’t any library functions to do this but it’s not too difficult.

The display can be put into sleep mode. There are functions displayOn() and displayOff() in the Arduboy2 library to do this.

With both the processor powered down and the display sleeping, I estimate the unit would draw about 5uA. With a fully charged battery, the Arduboy could “sleep” for about 4 years (but the battery would likely self-discharge faster than that).

However, this doesn’t allow for keeping time while sleeping, or waking up for timed events. For this case you could use the Watch Dog Timer to wake occasionally (maximum 8 seconds) just to increment a timer and do minor checks, then quickly go back to sleep. This would draw quite a bit more power than just sleeping but would still probably allow sleeping for a number of months.

6 Likes

I think power consumption will be a bit more. Because the display controller is running all the time. if total power consumption would be 1mA it won’t run much longer then a week.

I like the idea of using the watchdog timer.

Using the displayOff() function in the Arduboy2 library will put the display in “sleep” mode. According to the datasheet, sleep currents are:
Typical: Idd 1uA and Icc 2uA for 3uA total
Maximum: Idd 5uA and Icc 10uA for 15uA total.

For the processor in Power Down mode, the datasheet graphs show about 0.5uA with WDT disabled and about 25uA with WDT and BOD enabled.

So even with using the WDT, total current for display and processor would be around 30uA to 40uA, which is 25 to 30 times less than the 1mA you stated.

The current consumption during “wake up” periods triggered by the WDT are variable but would have to be factored in.

I know what the datasheet is saying. the SSD1306 rev1.1 I have doesn’t give minimum or typical values but says Icc sleep is max 10uA and Idd sleep is max 10uA however without a (oled) panel attached and Vdd in range 1.65V~3.3V. But Vdd on Arduboy is more like ~4V. Then there’s also the rated Iref at ~12.5uA. I can’t get an accurate approximation using this info.

I’m not saying current consumption is 1mA. What I wanted to say was that if standby + WDT wakeup every x secs + a couple of minutess feeding time a day would average in 1mAh power consumption) an Arduboy tamagotchi wouldn’t last much longer then a week. This is kind of short (the fun is in keeping it alive for as long as possible). But I forgot to think about the fact that Arduboy can be reacharged and when making the recharging part of raising the tamagotchi it would last longer

I went by the datasheet for the actual OLED module used for the Arduboy.

1 Like

5 - 12 Dec! :snowflake: More information will be released soon…

5 Likes

:snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

I hope this is not a snow related Jam as it is really
hot here in Australia now (Singapore too!) and its
hard to get motivated to do much other than drink
a :beer: or :beers:.

:snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

6 Likes