Arduboy IRC & Slack Chat

(Ross) #1

Arduboy IRC :100:

Come meet everyone and have a friendly chat!

###Web Based Chat Client :speaking_head:
Hosted by Freenode.

Where to Connect

Channel: #Arduboy
Server: irc.freenode.net

Freenode is,

“an IRC network providing discussion facilities for the Free and Open
Source Software communities, not-for-profit organizations, and related
communities.” https://freenode.net/philosophy

Joining a Server and Channel

Commands in an IRC client can be invoked in any chat window. Commands are prefaced with a forward slash /. In the case of weechat, to connect to a server, you add the server to your server list and then connect to it.

/server add freenode irc.freenode.net
/connect freenode

And then to join a channel:

/join #arduboy

Finding an IRC client

Web Clients

Windows

Linux

Mac

Discord for the community
Usb games loader
IRC server for dev discussions
Live Stream Development & Tutorial
[POLL] Arduboy Discord Server opinion
3rd Colour Pixel on Arduboy!
(Ross) #2

(Tramtrist) #3

IN!!
Come join us in this cutting edge tech channel

(Kevin) #4

Seriously this is the coolest place on the internet.

(Ross) #5

(Ross) #6

(Ross) #7

(Ross) #8

IRC is still, and will always be the best way to connect to other serious developers from around the world.

IRC was born during summer 1988 when Jarkko “WiZ” Oikarinen wrote the first IRC client and server at the University of Oulu, Finland (where he was working at the Department of Information Processing Science).

Jarkko intended to extend the BBS software he administrated at tolsun.oulu.fi, to allow news the usenet style, real time discussions and similar BBS features. The first part he implemented was the chat part, which he did with borrowed parts written by his friends Jyrki Kuoppala and Jukka Pihl. It was initially tested on a single machine, and according to the words from Jarkko himself “The birthday of IRC was in August 1988. The exact date is unknown, at the end of the month anyways.”. The first IRC server was named tolsun.oulu.fi.

Jyrki Kuoppala pushed Jarkko to ask Oulu University to free the IRC code so that it also could be run outside of Oulu, and after they finally got it released, Jyrki Kuoppala immediately installed a server (which later became irc.cs.hut.fi). This was the first “irc network”.

History of IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

Next in the asynchronous chat world for Arduboy is getting MattherMost, a FOSS slack app, up and going :smiley:

(Kevin) #9

Hello, Just wanted to say we do still have the IRC channel but most of us hang out in the public slack channel:

https://arduboy.slack.com/messages/general/

Join in on the fun!

(Wade McGillis) #10

We need an invitation to join in on the fun.

Signup appears to be restricted at present:

If you have an @arduboy.com or @oregonstate.edu email address, you can create an account.
Don’t have an @arduboy.com or @oregonstate.edu email address?
Contact your Team Administrator for an invitation.

I stumbled upon a Discord server though, is that the new new hangout? :grin:

(Holmes) #12

If you message @ekem or @Celinebins, I think they can get you in.

Done - thanks @crait! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

(Kevin) #14

Oh yeah sorry! Please message @ekem for access to the slack!

Yeah that is available for real time conversations and voice chat, there is little to no moderation there. IRC is a little bit of a ghost town I don’t hang out there as much as I should although it’s great because its fully public.

I try to bounce around to all of them but actually this is all for you as the developers to communicate with each other. If there is some kind of service you would like to see us implement please let us know!

Great! Between those 3, I would say we’re more than covered! My personal preference is for Slack since Discord seems comparatively immature for usage in this domain, e.g. no search/reply/reaction/link ability…all the things we as developers need to effectively communicate - I’m sure it’s great for gaming or other uses where reference to prior discussions/solutions/etc. is not important. :slight_smile:

(Josh Goebel) #16

Anyone seen https://zulip.com/ ?

(Simon) #17

I haven’t seen this before but it addresses my biggest gripe with Slack - that channels just become big an unmanageable with multiple parallel conversations happening at one. Obviously this could be addressed by adding more channels but this is an admin function (?) and users then need to join the stream or miss out.

(Josh Goebel) #18

Yeah, that’s why I was hoping to try it.

(Holmes) #19

Well, Slack is supposed to support threading conversations, but no one uses it that way.