Arduboy Magazine Release!

All of the team here at Arduboy Magazine are proud to release volume 1 of the Magazine!

Big up to celinebins, crait, JO3RI and dmian for the contributions and support

Here’s the Magazine, hope you enjoy it as much as we did putting it together.

google drive pdf download: https://goo.gl/Cn68d4

Expect a lot more from us in volume 2, next month. Follow us on twitter @arduboymag for updates!

-@widehaslet

6 Likes

Excellent job. Well done.

1 Like

@arduboymag @widehaslet Would you be able to put it up for download next time, please?

2 Likes

We sure will, buddy.

Agreed. I’d love to be able to download it too.

1 Like

Can you please upload a PDF somewhere?

1 Like

I’ll talk with the team and get back to you.

A nice read. I second the vote for a .pdf copy. It would be nice to keep hold of these for the future!

Suggestions-
Interview with kevin, covering everything from inspiration to commercial release. Maybe spanned over a few issues.
Interviews with popular arduboy game developers.
Tutorials on arduboy, for non-tech folk, covering how to flash games etc.
Tutorials for those wanting to use arduboy to learn coding, like the “make your own game” one in the forum.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions spinal, we really appreciate it.

• I have approached @bateske and i’m quite sure we can get an interview with him.
  • I have good connections with good developers such as @JO3RI and @crait and am planning on getting contacts with other developers.
  • I like the idea of having those sort of tips. I’ll include some of those.
  • I have mentioned that with @crait when I first started planning and writing this, that will sure be happening.

You have really hit the nail on the head, spinal! We have alot planned for the future.

Also, for everybodys records, see the shared google drive folder attached. All our volumes are going to be in there.

-@widehaslet

https://goo.gl/Cn68d4

1 Like

LOne suggestion I forgot, game reviews, perhaps a feature game or two. Possibly include a .arduboy version of the featured game? I don’t know how difficult that would be, simple I would think, having shared a google doc folder.
Basically I would like to see arduboy mag become something similar to the 8-bit computer mags we had in the 1980s and 90s

1 Like

Due to licensing, I don’t think that would necessarily be possible.

1 Like

It would be better to include links to .arduboy files stored in an “official” repository. (Hopefully, such a repository could be hosted by the Arduboy organisation.)

Saving .arduboy files locally along with the magazine means they could contain outdated versions of the games. Referencing a site that maintained the latest version of each game would alleviate this problem.

It wouldn’t be a problem for most open source licenses used, as long as we implement my proposal to allow a LICENSE.txt file to be included in a .arduboy file.

1 Like

It would be better to include links to .arduboy files stored in an “official” repository. (Hopefully, such a repository could be hosted by the Arduboy organisation.)

Sure, but linking to an externally sourced file also runs the very real risk of the file not being there at some point in the future, even if the magazine still is still around.
As for being outdated, it would be accurate to that edition of the magazine. If the game gets updates later on, the mag isn’t magically going to describe the new version of the game. I for one, would rather the mag and the copy of the game match, rather than only being able to fine a copy that was updated to ‘final’ version and nothing like what arduboymag described it as.

As for licencing, surely the permission of the developer would be easy enough to acquire? Maybe even persuade them to create an arduboymag version demo?

1 Like

In which case then, the magazine should indicate somewhere that the games provided may be outdated and provide a link to the “official” repository to check for a later version.

For most standard open source licenses that people are using, permission is given in the license itself, as long as all provisions required by the license are met (which, for binary only distributions, usually means including a text file containing copyrights, redistribution requirements, liability disclaimers, etc.).

1 Like

PDF download, please.

1 Like

PDF is now in the google drive link above.

1 Like

Definitively, a great read! :blush:

2 Likes

I Love it!!!, great job. I hope there is more to come!

2 Likes

It’s a great publication.

Well done to all those involved in its production!

2 Likes

I like this. Magazine is the principle of oldschool!

1 Like