Arduboy mention in CS research

Recently an article I coauthored was accepted and published, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suscom.2021.100530

If you have access, you can see a direct shout out to the platform.

“… a game engine for an open source handheld game console, the Arduboy. Originally this C++ code was written for an 8-bit embedded CPU architecture but here is tested on x86-64.”

I wanted to include some research with an open source game engine, so I chose Arduboy2.

4 Likes

Yesss!!! So cool thank you for sharing.

Curious how this relates to energy efficiency? Is this because the library has been designed to have low power modes or have been optimized for efficiency?

Awesome thank you!

It is less about the current implementation and more about the classic nature of the library and how profiling a game and making improvements to the underlying engine could extend to benefit to many applications. I hope I did not oversell it, but Arduboy2 is not the focus just one of a few experiments. For this paper, the target implementation was actually the desktop version I used to create Team A.R.G. Anthology on Steam

The paper is a discussion on how to gauge the energy usage of an arbitrary program without measurement. Conventional metering equipment for software is cumbersome and not widely available. PortAuthority accurately estimates energy usage without measurement based on a individual application’s instruction makeup. In short each instruction has its own energy signature. Get a good estimate of the number and types of instructions and you get results comparable to normal measurement.

The domain is what is really important to the topic of the paper. Battery powered things need to consider energy usage more than a lot of other programs. Games are typically categorized as high performance computing so optimization can also be more important than other software. Also I am a big fan of games and open source, so any time I can bump those disciplines I try.

2 Likes

You didn’t oversell it, I just became curious lol. I didn’t expect to have a whole article about the Arduboy.

I’ll have to find to check the article out, one thing that I think is very interesting is that battery powered devices get a lot of engineering in software but for sure in hardware for power consumption.

But the second it’s plugged into the wall you see a lot of engineers being like “well who cares”, like when using pull down resistors on power lines and things like that where in battery operations you would probably try to avoid. Totally discounting the fact that the power comes from “somewhere”. It’s just you aren’t responsible of putting the coal power plant inside of your project.

Externalities.

Turns out they supply a limited time link for everyone. Eventually this will go dark. I think in May.
https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1cl5A7sdZtYpCk