Arduboy on Arduino Nano + I²C-Display

Hi! Thanks for the port! Actually I have parts for something in between: a Nano and an SPI OLED display. Any suggestions how to make this work? :slight_smile: Thanks!

Things like that may be better discussed in PM where they don’t upset so many people.

Worth noting that the SPI Clock pin on an Arduino Nano is shared with the user LED (pin 13) which may adversely effect the maximum achievable SPI speed?

@MasterOfGizmo did you manage to get round to doing the Nano + SPI library?

1 Like

Hello, may I transfer this method to www.arduino.cn?

Hi and thanks for this post.
I am super keen to get the Arduboy running on a Nano, however I simply cannot get the code to compile for Nano…
Has anyone had further success, or have tips for configuring the libraries and Arduino IDE to compile for Nano?
I have tried Old Bootloaders etc, and every other reference I can find.
I realise I am probably making a very simple mistake in my process, but would hugely appreciate some guidance!
Thanks again for all of the support!

The bootloader has no effect on compiling a program (it is burnt onto the target chip and just allows you to serially upload already compiled code to the chip). Can you enable verbose messages in settings and copy and paste exactly what errors come up when you try to compile?

Hi.
I don’t want to appear too thick … but clearly I am. I have been learning a lot about Arduino and the Arduboy over the last few days but clearly not enough yet. I am also new to using Git as well as I have had my head under a rock for a few years (7). Do I simply need to download your version of the Arduboy 2 library from Git and add it to the library in my IDE. Then send a sketch to the nano?

Pretty much yes.

• Go to the GitHub repository linked at the start of the first post.
  • Click on the green Clone or download pulldown near the top right then select Download zip.
  • Extract the contents of the zip file that you downloaded.
  • Rename the extracted Arduboy2-master folder to Arduboy2. (Remove -master.)
  • Copy or move this Arduboy2 folder, and all its contents, to your Arduino\libraries folder. (If the standard Arduboy2 library has already been installed in the libraries folder, replace it.)
  • Follow standard Arduino IDE procedures to load, build and upload an Arduboy sketch to your hardware. Select the board type that matches the actual board you’re using, for uploading (I.e. Arduino Nano).

Many Arduboy sketches require additional libraries for generating sound or other things. @MasterOfGizmo has ported ArduboyTones and ATMlib. Follow the same steps as for the Arduboy2 library to install either if needed (or just do it anyway). If the sketch uses any other libraries, either the standard ones will work or you’re out of luck unless somebody ports it/them.

1 Like

I have this version of the clone, but I was buying the nano analog as it is much cheaper. Nano (clone) + i2c(1306) works great, but I would like something more. I want to build a clone from Nano (clone) and Spi(1306) display, but can’t find the wiring diagram anywhere. Maybe you can redirect me or tell me what to connect to? And tell me, does it make sense to change only the screen? Can try pro micro (clone) + spi …

I recommend you also change to a Pro Micro, Arduino Micro or other ATmega32U4 based board. With the Nano or other ATmega328 based boards you have to rely on libraries that interact with the hardware being ported and available and kept up to date. Plus, the ATmega328 has less RAM, so some Arduboy sketches may never work on it.

1 Like