Arduino pro micro glitch

Hi I have been trying to make a arduboy gameboy advanced sp clone for a few weeks now and i got a ardutosh to run on it but that was buggy so i wanted to try a new game so i tried uploading castleboy and i got a error "avrdude: ser_open(): can’t set com-state for “\.\COM5” there isnt alot of information on how to fix it so i tried updating the arduino firmware redownloading basically everything tried different ports used different cables restarting the thingy with the reset and ground pins or whatever all of it never worked and then there is a another bug (im using a ssh1103 because i had one) when you restart it after the ardutosh actually works 95% of the time you get a static screen and if you reset the arduino it keeps getting wider and wider also im using mr blinkys arduboy board thing anyways i can send pictures i honestly have a feeling that the issue is gonna be really stupid and the littlest thing in the world so please give me suggestions on what to do this is my first time making a arduboy clone and my first time using a pro micro in general have a good day also sorry if this was really long and bad grammer

When you connect the Pro Micro, does it actually connect? By that I mean, do you see the device listed under Ports in the Arduino IDE? If not, does it appear when you reset the device - even for a few seconds?

Also, when using the Arduino IDE there two settings you might like to check:

Attempt to reload Castleboy and check to see if there is any additional detail when uploading. If so, can you paste the results in this thread. (Be sure to enclose the log in the preformatted text tags ( < / > ) above.

Some games - maybe Ardutosh - do not use the standard libraries to communicate with the screen and even though you have @Mr.Blinky’s library they may not work properly.

2 Likes

so i think the static thing is happening because im not unplugging it properly anyways the same thing happened and i turned on those things so first i got a crap ton of file things which probally wont fit in here and doesnt even matter anyways

`<Sketch uses 26666 bytes (93%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 1762 bytes (68%) of dynamic memory, leaving 798 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM5
PORTS {COM5, } / {COM5, } => {}
Uploading using selected port: COM5
C:\Users\marla\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\marla\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -PCOM5 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\marla\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_873348/CastleBoy.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\marla\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM5
     Using Programmer              : avr109
     Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600

avrdude: ser_open(): can’t set com-state for “\.\COM5”

avrdude done. Thank you.`

it seems like there is some stuff to do with the temp folder so ill clear that and ill also try other games

removing temp didnt do alot so ill try doing a different game

not even any of the examples worked this error is like almost as bad as pouring a bowl of cereal but there is no milk

When you see the com port messages appearing, try pressing up and down simultaneously for two seconds and see if it uploads.

(I’m asuming here that you’ve uploaded Ardutosh with the homemade package installed and the Arduboy optimised core selected which is by default)

I wired up the buttons and tested them and when i tried pressing them both at the

lines and it still didnt work i got the same exact error i tried atleast a few hundred times and got the same error

Try holding the Reset button (connect a button to GND & RST), when uploading, hold that button, after uploading release. Worked for me in the past.

holy crap it worked tysm :smile:

I’m happy to help where I can :slightly_smiling_face: