Arduino with built in lipo charger?

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create an Arduboy clone that will use a lipo battery and charger circuit.
I have been trying to find an ATmega32u4 board with built in charger circuit (I want to minimise the number of external components and have one port for charging and uploading sketches.) |
I found these boards, but they state they run at 8MHz.

My questions are:

• Are these boards compatible with the arduboy sketches, Mr.Blinky software etc?
  • I understand that the 8MHz will affect performance, will this make most games unplayable? Only effect certain larger games? Any other issues it may cause?
  • Lastly, is there a board that runs at 16MHz with lipo charge built in or another solution I am missing?

Those boards should be compatible. I don’t know that you can’t use the 8mhz version, though if anything it will be slower (probably still very playable for lots of games though). As for solutions, might I suggest the Itsy Bitsy 32u4 or the Teensy 2.0 ((small tangent: Teensy boards are incredible and bring out so many pins on all versions. I’ve got a Teensy 4.0 I’ve been playing with and it’s ridiculously overpowered even for more complex projects, ALL the pins are interrupts)) as they’re well-priced and run 5v at 16mhz, and both have lots of the pins brought out, and have a neater form factor than the more popular pro micros. Neither have built-in lipo charging, however adafruit carries some pretty neat little lipo charger breakout boards to add to any project, like this one, the Adafruit Micro Lipo Charger. It’s teeny-tiny and has all the pins you need for proper connection to your 32u4 board. Feel free to ask if you need a bit of help with the wiring, though it should be pretty easy :slight_smile:

Yes and no. You’ll need to install the board package for the relevant board so sketches are compiled properly for 8MHz (sketches compiled for Leonardo or the Homemade package are compiled for 16MHz only)

With MCU running at 8MHz it has half the processing power and many sketches will run slower and sounds will have lower pitch and may playback at a slower rate.

2 Likes

Maybe won’t work at all.

I don’t know if the sketch’s initialisation code sets the clock. I assume it’s the bootloader and all the sketches just leave it as-is but if a sketch sets the clock source to external crystal and it’s not connected it would likely just freeze but I haven’t tried.