Ardumon Mockup Image

Thankyou :slight_smile:

(Nicole Birgel) #22

Kribbit only appears on mondays😆

I feel Chowmeow fits that role better since it’s a lot like this lusagna eatting cat. :smile:

images

(Gavin Atkin) #24

The most difficult part I think would be making the battle engine small enough. Creature management might also be a little tough to keep small.

The main pieces I think are:
Creature encounters
Creature capturing
Creature management
Creature battles
Creature progression (leveling/skills?)
NPC battles (don’t need dialog, just 4 or so at least to give a sense of progression)
Overworld (TEAM arg may be able to make this easy if the rest looks doable)

For creature management and EEPROM, if you limit the player to 1 of each then it would only be 4 bytes for whether the player has the creature or not. You’d still need 30 bytes for their level and statuses most likely. Active party could than be indexes of which creature is being used.

I was thinking of this. what if, well if a monster battling/collecting game were to be created, it limited the player to only 3 monsters. No box to store them in or anything like that. This would allow for more things to be added, like multiple moves, more stats, More Items etc, but if they catch a new monster while 3 is in their party, they are given the option to either release one of their current party members or release the one they’ve just caught. And to make things interesting, there could be permadeath in the game, like a nuzlocke. It would make the player more on edge when they get into tough moments in battle, and it would make them a lot more cautious and engaged rather than them just mashing the A button over and over. I find it crazy that Team ARG can fit an entire top down open world rpg in only 32kb of flash. Did they use some compression method or was it pure coding magic?

(Holmes) #26

What about Circuit Dude?

He could be a hidden Legendary. :smile:

(Pharap) #28

That’s a good thing, we can’t use real Pokemon.

All Pokemon names are trademarked so we’d be sued immediately if we did :P.

Yeah, we wouldn’t want to end up like Pokemon Uranium. It’s a shame that game was taken down. The creators put so much time into it, and it looked like a great game, but it’s within Nintendo’s legal right to force them to take it down I guess.

(Gavin Atkin) #30

Arduventure uses a combination of techniques from Mystic Balloon and Virus LQP-79. I built a tool with a GUI interface to construct the world visually then we further reduced the code size where we could find optimizations. It would actually be pretty easy to adapt it to something like this.

Awesome, so how long does it take for a game like Arduventure to be made from start to finish.

(Pharap) #32

Essentially this is also what we did with Dark & Under.
Except we also open-sourced the dev tool afterwards.

Is the Arduventure tool going to be released alongside or after the Arduventure source code?

I can picture a Pokemon like game with an over-world like dark and under. That’d be a really cool twist.

(Pharap) #34

I’m not sure we’d have enough memory for that.
Not unless we managed to crunch D&U even smaller.
(Or if the Arduboy had the fabled SD card.)

I guess it would be difficult to merge the two together without removing some things that could be important for gameplay. No point in making a monster catching/battling RPG if the world’s too small. :smile:

(Gavin Atkin) #36

We’ve had some internal debate about the release of our tools so I don’t totally have an answer there. I designed it from the ground up to be flexible for more additional games though. I’d love to see more large world games so it’s certainly something to seriously consider.

Hmmm…
A ROGUE CIRCUIT BOARD ATTACKS CIRCUIT DUDE
CIRCUIT DUDE USES OVERCHARGE
ROGUE CIRCUIT BOARD GETS SMOKED
CIRCUIT DUDE USES IC PULLER
CIRCUIT DUDE GAINS A 7474 TTL CHIP
CIRCUIT DUDE LEVELS UP WITH FLIP FLOPS

(Pharap) #38

Rather than Ardumon, that’s making me think “Circuitventure”.
A regular RPG featuring Circuitdude as the main character.

(Holmes) #39

I think that would be Digimon. XD

I made a 8x8 gif of a person walking for a possible overworld. If everything were to be made by 8x8 pixels, a lot could more could fit while using not too much memory campared to something made in 16x16, though it won’t look as detailed.