I tried for some time but this is what I got. I might be able to make it work if I invested more effort into it, but I don’t really enjoy working with Windows and doing all this kind of things. I prefer to spend the time on studying the source code of the game and creating the map manually (or maybe creating my own simple helper tools to do that). I think if you contact @Gaveno he might be open to the idea of providing the editor for other people.
For the record, those aren’t Windows errors that I would expect to encounter.
God knows why a cabinet file is involved, I have used those precisely once in my life and only because I was testing different compression methods.
(It did better than
.zip, but got beaten by
Failing to create a D3D device implies either the drivers aren’t installed correctly or the settings aren’t right for some reason.
(Either way I blame GameMaker
This looks really neat.
I think this will unfortunately be on hold for a little longer now, because I will be creating a small project for another console, but right after that I will probably get back to Arduboy and this game, so stay tuned!
( All files are available if anyone feels like contributing in the meanwhile )
Thanks for making these. I am using the chest in my game, and probably more. I will give you credit of course!
Totally understand why TEAMArg might not want to freely license their graphical assets - but equally happy to see someone working on an open tile set that you can drop right in and use the engine.
@drummyfish I like your art. I wanted to use it in my previous game but it got scrapped due to space issues.
But this time I managed to fit some of it. Helped the game pop visually, thanks!
Wow I’m several months late for it, but Arduboy has memes now
I love this new artwork! I love RPGS for the Arduboy, they are my favorite game. With extended flash memory, there could be lots of STORY too!
That would be nice, story needs text and text heavy is not easy to squeeze in alongside maps, graphics and mechanics.
If you limit yourself to less than 32 characters then you can squash 3 letters into 2 bytes.
A 2/3 compression ratio isn’t too bad.
Why am I completely unsurprised you appear with useful information. I suppose right now story becomes part of the compromise (and lets be honest a lot of these games are made by programmers where story might not really be their speciality) You end up compromising on map size or assets to fit more text. Though in my opinion theres nothing wrong with a smaller map with more in it as compared to a huge empty map.
I can’t remember if it’s implemented in this game, but others for sure have used a phrase dictionary for further compression I believe.
Imagination is an Arduboy feature you just need to fill in the blanks yourself.
This made me think of a dialogue based game that operated kinda like madlibs where the subject, verb and noun could change each time and could even be built into a quest system where the objectives change along with it.
Part of the reason big empty maps are preferred is that they’re easier to compress.
Compression thrives on redundancy - the more redundancy, the more you can compress.
It’s been discussed a few times (especially huffman coding),
but I’m not aware of any games that actually have actually implemented a ‘dictionary’ as such.
I didn’t use a phrase dictionary, but I did use huffman compression in Under the Tower to compress the text in it. I generated the codes for each letter based on the composition of the text I had written, so the codes would change depending on the input text, and I regenerated the codes alongside the compressed text whenever I made changes. It only includes the letters actually in the original text, so there is, for example, no code for “Z” at all because the game’s script does not contain a Z. The compression reduced the original script’s size by a little less than half, not including the fixed overhead from the decompression code.