Are there any adventure clones for arduboy?

Well, since arduboys should be shipping soon, ive been checking out all the games. Ive noticed that there dont seem to be any “adventure” (a la atari) clones. Or any kind of exploratory games out for the arduboy. I realize that because of the small amount of memory the arduboy has, any game of this caliber woudnt be very expansive, but are there any at all in this vein? Thanks guys

There can certainly be one of those kinds of games, however, RPG’s take a bit longer to develop than more simple games such as puzzle games. I know that there are some in development such as Arduventure and one that I have put quite a bit of work into, too.

3 Likes

Thanks. I saw arduventure. Im super pumped for that game. I saw on facebook that team arg is gonna help to finish it. That made my day.

I also saw elventure which looks cool. Cant wait to try that one, oh! And rayne the rogue.

I guess i was just hoping there was a more “traditional” adventure style game.

3 Likes

Oh man, your game looks killer. How close are you to completion, and whats the name?

I built a simulation in JavaScript and calculated everything as taking up like 90% of space of the Arduboy… I did all the graphics and the map/text are all done, I just need to sit down and port it over from JS to C. :stuck_out_tongue: So, maybe like, 60% done…

2 Likes

Awesome. Cant wait to play it!

1 Like

Same here I’m super hiped

1 Like

Hey Crait, Saw your RPG demo. Any new news on it or is it on hold? Thanks

P.S. I just listened to your interview with Game Dev uncunstructed. Jolly good show!

1 Like

We are going to be shipping Arduventure very soon as the result of a successful kickstarter!

1 Like

Oh i know. This game is the reason i bought an arduboy. Im a backer too and very excited for the release👍

2 Likes

Rpg Demo? I haven’t heard of this?(I’ve been gone a while)

@Cody17 check higher in the thread. Crait posted something he was working on that looked really cool.

1 Like

I’m working on an RPG, it’s going to take quite a while as I have no programming experience whatsoever. It’s called ECHO, you can follow the development here.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat with my SHMUP. I have created some basic framework and have drawn out my sprites. What approach are you going to take to get your dev skills up to snuff?

I have signed up for a game programming class over the summer once the current semester ends. I ran through @crait’s tutorial which helped a lot.

I’m just curious how you are going to get to your end game?

1 Like

There’s a handy barrel of resources here:

Also, (I say this one a lot) read the magazine:

Lots of articles flying around.

2 Likes

I’m just going to do a lot of trial and error. I’m going to work on a lot of little projects in between development of echo, starting with a version of pong I envisioned. Can’t afford classes at the moment so everything will be self taught. I figured an RPG on this system is very ambitious and because it’s difficult, it’ll make me learn more as I try to strive for the goal.

The magazine is going to help ton. I’ve already got every issue bookmarked for when I get my Arduboy on Monday and begin coding

1 Like

Classes are a waste of time anyway in my opinion.
I went to college and they taught me less than 5% of what I know about programming, everything else is self-taught with internet resources.

If you have zero programming experience then an RPG is incredibly ambitious, especially with the Arduboy’s limited memory.
Don’t be afraid to stop and ask for help or advice.

I mean I’ve done stuff in RPG maker and if I know the commands, and can figure out the logic between objects and stuff I’ll be good. It’s not going to be an extremely advanced RPG, more of an rpg lite. Focused on the story and world rather than the stats.

There is going to be a time-warp ability though to fast forward or rewind time. Once I get to that point I might need some help planning that

4 Likes