Big asteroids!

ASTEROIDS are LIVE!
The final series of “long awaited backup”

GARENTEED:

The first game ON THIS WEBSITE that is able to measure the battery status on the move.

Download ASTEROID2.ino and get the ability to monitor the battery voltage! (in pause menu and high score display), in 1234mV (1.234V) format
  • For the game to compile, you also need to download sprite.h (which is shared between ASTEROID.ino and ASTEROID2.ino.)

Arduboy Manager 2.0 Released!
(Stephane C) #2

Could you please clean up the repo and make sure unneeded things are removed?

I tried to compile your Asteroid game to check it out and i got all kind of redifinitions errors. I know it’s probably because you kept obsolete files in your repo.

Also in your readme your are asking for help to maybe make the ship look better. Only problem is that your are probably using a triangle right now (like the original) and it’s probably the best thing for that game since we don’t have hardware sprite rotation on the Arduboy. Making the Ship look better would need to use sprites, so unless someone make 360 frames of animations, and even there it would probably look like cap anyway…

(Pharap) #3

It only actually handles 24 rotational positions, so it would be doable by sprite, but I’ve got a feeling drawing a triangle is cheaper.

You’re right about getting rid of the old files though.
There’s no need to keep old files around with Github because it functions as a time machine if you ever need to go back in time to recover old files.

For example, here’s what the repo looked like when it first started:

Yep I need to clean that up. Too many pieces of obsolete trash is floating around. (and that’s done.)
No, we don’t have sprite rotation. On the other hand, even if we do, the screen won’t make the difference.
But, I admit that the ship was quite poorly done…
@pharap I think that the triangle is cheaper, too.
Because you don’t need 24 pictures of triangle when you can just define 24 set of points.

Speaking of older versions…
If you look closer, the current file have the list of global variables (of course it do, every file does), the list of global variables is arranged so the ones added at the very beginning goes at the top, so if you want a walk-down memory lane, delete the newer (the variables closer to the end). But that means you have to write those huge switch tables I used to do :slight_smile:
I like what I did. Feels like ALSTEROIDS already!

no one seems to be paying attention to the sound track…

You know why I don’t record a video?
One, it is difficult.
Two, I can’t play the game properly. :sweat_smile:
I mean, there is obviously more things to do than … just staying there and act as a turret, but I am not sure how… because I can’t play it properly.
and so if I post something about the ship being a turret, someone is going to say, “that guy don’t know what he was doing” and it will be pretty boring to watch anyway.
But being a turret is what I do for most of the time, and that’s bad.
@eried! any help? (and have this on your game collection, if you wanted to.)

(Pharap) #6

How To Record A .gif With ProjectABE:

1. Open game in IDE
  2. Sketch > Export compiled binary (or Ctrl+Alt+S)
  3. Rename ASTEROIDS.ino.arduino_leonardo.hex to Asteroids.hex
  4. Upload Asteroids.hex (e.g. as a gist)
  5. Get a path to the ‘raw’ version of the hex (e.g. raw of gist)
  6. Append url to https://felipemanga.github.io/ProjectABE/?url= (e.g. from the gist)
  7. Follow the ProjectABE instructions to record a gif by pressing R or take screenshots with P

Result:

AsteroidsRecording

(Pharap) #7

How To Add A Game To @eried’s Repo

1. Go to eried/ArduboyCollection on Github
  2. Fork it
  3. Select a category (e.g. Arcade)
  4. Create new file
  5. Type ASTEROIDS/game.ini in the Name your file box
  6. Fill in the game.ini data, as mentioned in the readme.md.
  7. Commit new file
  8. Drag & drop hex file
  9. Change commit message to Create ASTEROIDS.hex
  10. Commit changes
  11. Navigate back to ASTEROIDS folder
  12. Create new file
  13. Type Asteroids.url in the Name your file box
  14. Fill in the shortcut info as mentioned in the readme
  15. Commit new file
  16. Drag & drop Asteroids.png created earlier with ProjectABE
  17. Change commit message to Create ASTEROIDS.png
  18. Commit changes
  19. (Optional) Make source.url similarly to ASTEROIDS.url, but pointing at Github
  20. Go to the main page of your fork
  21. Pull request
  22. Create pull request
  23. Add title “Add ASTEROIDS”
  24. (Optional) Fill in information
  25. Create pull request
  26. Admire pull request
  27. Wait for @eried to merge
  28. Delete fork

(Erwin) #8

Nice instructions!

Note: It is much easier with GitHub desktop :slight_smile: just fork it and use another game as a template. But I guess your path is the one for people who are not used to git.

(Pharap) #9

I could have just prepared all the files in Notepad++ like I normally do, but this way illustrates it better and makes the least number of assumptions about desktop setup and/or prior knowledge.

Also I wouldn’t really class GitHub desktop as ‘being used to git’, only the people crazy enough to use command line git deserve that award. :P

I can’t vsit gist.github from here, and I don’t think there is a reason to have that.

I tried github desktop but it don’t work
anyway. thanks

New version avilable!

•For the game to compile, you also need to download sprite.h (which is shared between ASTEROID.ino and ASTEROID2.ino.)