Blog post on saving flash space

(Matt) #1

I whipped together a blog post on what I’ve learned thus far in saving space, if anyone is interested.

http://www.mattgreer.org/articles/squeezing-the-arduboy-for-every-byte/

(Lee) #2

A great read! I’ll be keeping this close when I finish the tutorials and make my own venture into Arduboy game development.

(Stephane C) #3

Venture huh??? That reminds me a good game I used to play that could be ported…

(Josh Goebel) #4

In ArduBoy2’s drawPlusMask() , the data must be interlaced: One byte of graphic data, one byte of mask data, one byte of graphic data…

It was done this way as it’s the only way to make the render speed CRAZY fast - which was the design goal. True, if you don’t need the speed you might be better served with separate render passes and simply reusing some of the simpler C drawing routines, as you’ve found.

Awesome writeup.

(Matt) #5

That makes sense. It’s good to have options and be able to pick speed or space depending on the situation.

(Simon) #6

Great article.

@Pharap keeps threatening to create an article on memory saving techniques - at a code level - and, if combined with a higher level design-focused document like this, would result in a nice manifesto for newbies.

For the first time I used ArdBitmap in a game - Mini Rogue - and must say I love it. Mirroring has saved me so much memory