This is a wiki page where the latest most up to date resources will be for how the bootloader should operate and how the file system on the memory card can function. I don’t know much about this @Mr.Blinky will need to fill in a lot.
Bootloader is Cathy3k available here:
Questions and discussions can thread down below.
There will be no changes to the external hardware, so a reset button won’t be useful for entering the menu. Instead, the menu will start each time.
Primary User Experience
- Power on device greeted with Menu Splash Screen*
- Pressing A or B on Splash screen will load currently flashed game
- Pressing Left or Right will navigate through categories
- Pressing A or B on category screen will return to Menu Splash screen
- Pressing Up or Down on categories will scroll through games
- Pressing A or B on games will flash and load the game
- Pressing RESET in game returns to bootloader Menu
- Pressing RESET in bootloader Menu Splash Screen SLEEPS
- Pressing RESET in SLEEP mode will start bootloader Menu
- Pressing Up or Down on Splash Screen will not do anything
*When FX chip has not been initialized an USB icon is displayed.
The ‘start bootloader menu on power on’ feature can be disabled by clearing bit 7 of EEPROM_SYS_FLAGS value in EEPROM. When disabled the bootloader menu can still be selected on powering up while holding down the DOWN button
Copied from Flash cart(ridge)
7 ARDUBOY signature string
1 list number (0 bootloader title screen)
2 previous slot page address (0xFFFF for first slot)
2 next slot page address
2 slot size in pages
1 application flash size in 128 byte blocks (0 for none)
2 page address of application program data (0xFFFF none)
2 page addr application data file ( 0xFFFF none)
2 page addr application save data (0xFFFF none)
2 EEPROM start (0xFFFF none)
2 EEPROM end (0xFFFF none)
16 MD5 application signature
214 UTF-8 zero terminated strings:
- Application Name
- Quick instructions
Numbers are stored in big-endian (Most Significant Byte first) format.