Breadboy a 100% non soldering Homemade Arduboy

Very well done on making something so elegant! I use breadboards a lot, just for fun, even though I can solder just fine. I must admit though that I’m rarely so tidy with breadboards!

@Mr.Blinky.

I fixed the problem of this compilation error on my iMAC now.
It may be caused by an unclean removal of the previous version of Arduino IDE on my iMAC when I upgrade to the new version 1.8,7.
There is a folder called ~/Library/Arduino15 holding all the board packages and preference.txt. I also found another folder holding the same thing : ~/Library/Arduino (probably left over from the old version).
I am not sure if this caused the issue.
After erasing everything in that folder ~/Library/Arduino15 and Library/Aruduino and getting a clean copy of Library/Arduino15 from my other MAC (very old MacBook air) that do not have this compilation error, I was able to compile successfully on my iMAC.

By the way, I live in Hong Kong. I got the parts for my projects through taobao (online shop of Alibaba) very quickly with cheap shipping. I used to create Crystal radio projects. But now work on MCU projects more.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

3 Likes

Upgraded my breadboard with a hand soldered flash cart with SMD components.
I used 4Mbyte flash memory. Should be enough to hold 100+ games.
which is enough for me.
Thanks.

6 Likes

Hi, this thing is great! Can I make it with an Arduino Nano or do I have to have Micro?

The Micro and Arduboy have the same processor, the 32u4. The Nano has the same processor as the UNO, an ATMega328.

If you swap out the Micro for a Nano, you will have to compensate for the differences in pinouts, etc. You may also need to alter the libraries to handle the different pinouts and possible (though I have no experience in this) change some of the other code?

2 Likes

A large number of games compile and run fine when compiled for 328p but you will also miss out on the custom bootloader and spi flash unless you wright your own. I got so far with 328p and flashing from SD but never got round to implementing a menu.

2 Likes

Was I correct when I said the pin-outs might change?

1 Like

Yeah the pins and mcu will change in the lib but a large amount of the games will compile fine without requiring further modifications.

3 Likes

Thanks, I think I will buy Micro then… I dont really want to rewrite every game I put on there

Rewriting the pins would only require changing a few details of the Arduboy2 library,
so it shouldn’t be too much extra effort.

But using a 32u4 in the right configuration should be no extra effort whatsoever.
(I.e. assuming you have the pins set up the same as the Arduboy itself.)

You could use this library to compile for 328p but you may need to edit it back to support a spi oled.

You don’t have to edit every sisngle game individually. In most cases buttons are handled by the library so for example in the game code A_Button is still A_Button and the pins are defined in the lib. It’s only games that use less of the library and deal directly that would need manual configuration.

1 Like

I want to make this build, are there more details somewhere?

Mr Blinky, would you be kind enough to share a copy of the schematic of this bread board build as I would like to do it as well. I have all the parts and library files, just need the schematic.
Any support would be greatly appreciated.

I didn’t make an schematic for this. I used the original Arduboy schematic and Arduino Micro Pinout to wire it all up.

Differences from the original schematic are that I used 1K resistors for the RGB LED and connected the pasive Piezo speaker directly to the pins (no series capacitor/resistor) for simplifying parts you could use all 1K resistors for the flashchip too.

1 Like

Greatly appreciated

Is the display configured as SPI or I2C? I’m looking at the schematic but not exactly clear.

What’s the point of the four individual vertical pin headers on the left side?

SPI

The two red circled pin headers are used to connect the power. The battery box wires don’t have pins. I stripped the two wire ends and wrapped them around a single pin several times. Then I removed the black insulating part of another pin and pushed it onto the pin with the wire so the bare wire get’s squeezed firmly together.

1 Like

Thank you. On the schematic, I do not see the display CS going to anything, but it appears here you have the CS connected to D12, is that correct?

Edit: I found the display datasheet and it says CS is active low, and D12 is likely pulled low at the processor startup. Since it is unassigned, it likely remains low. Did I get that correct?

And the display D/C looks like it’s connected to D5? D/C is not on the schematic and D5 on the schematic is for the speaker. So I’m confused. Not even sure what D/C does.

Edit: Okay now I think I understand. Found the display datasheet and it says when the display is in 3-wire serial (SPI) mode, D/C must be connected to Vss (GND). The piezo buzzer’s D5 must be always configured to be ground and D13 must be it’s high. So the display’s D/C is connected to the buzzer’s ground at all times.