This is a guide to fully recover your Arduboy from the dead . I was unable to find any info about this procedure so I decided to document my fixing attempt instead of leaving my Arduboy as a dead weight.
Use this guide as the last resource, first try with the normal recovery options:
If that does not work, try with another USB cable and another PC. If everything fails, you can start below.
You will need:
- ICSP programmer (you can use an Arduino or a commercial programmer). I used an USBasp, you can find this for around $1.5 USD: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WholeSale-New-USBASP-USBISP-AVR-Programmer-USB-ATMEGA8-ATMEGA128/32272453926.html (For Windows, you need to install some drivers: http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/)
Check Bring your Arduboy back from the dead (burn bootloader) if you are having problems with the drivers
Set of wires (preferably with a metallic tip or single core). I used these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MB102-830-Tie-Points-Solderless-PCB-Breadboard-MB-102-65PCS-Jumper-cable-wires-Free-Shipping-Dropshipping/1740598704.html
Extra set of hands, or scotch tape, or something similar
- Turn off your Arduboy and remove the 4 screws at the back of the unit
- Lift the cover and locate the ICSP pads, they are labelled near the bottom of the PCB. Compare with the ICSP header of your programmer:
There is a typo in the Arduboy pcb silkscreen, you should connect SCK to CLK.
If you are using the Arduino as the programmer, follow the pins indicated in the ArduinoISP sketch.
- Prepare the Arduino IDE, set the board to Arduino Leonardo, select the programmer type, enable Verbose in settings and find the Burn bootloader option
- Hold each wire to the corresponding pad and press “Burn bootloader”.
Remember that you can use the battery BAT (-) terminal as GND to free a little space for the fingers:
If you fail to do that, you can try to solder wires to the pads: Bring your Arduboy back from the dead (burn bootloader) but be careful when handling the wires, avoid applying tension.
Stay still for about a minute. If you fail doing this, go back to the step 4)
Reassemble the Arduboy. Enjoy!
Note: Nothing is going to appear in the screen right after doing this, you still need to upload a game or something after this procedure. The Arduboy is going to be completelly empty