Calling all teachers!

(Pharap) #21

Markdown can do hyperlinks.
I haven’t added any because hyperlinks don’t offline (i.e. when I’m writing it in an offline editor).

Markdown actually gets translated to HTML.

To do that I’d have to relearn JavaScript and HTML.
I hate JavaScript so I don’t want to do that.

By the way, the past tense of ‘to read’ is ‘read’, not ‘readed’.
Also, “ability”, not “hability”. I can see you were thinking ‘habilité’.
These are two of those weird exceptions that English is full of.
English is a funny language.

For any English-speakers who are confused about why I’m calling “ability” a ‘weird exception’:

“ability” comes from the Latin “habilitās”, so originally it did have an ‘h’, but it’s one of the rare cases where the ‘h’ was dropped because unlike a lot of ‘h’ words where the ‘h’ sound is a hard ‘h’, the pronunciation (for whatever reason) ended up using an aspirated ‘h’, so the spelling was changed to drop the ‘h’ completely.

(Jean Charles Lebeau) #22

It’s for that that i don’t write any tuto in english :smiley: Thanks to have corrected it Pharap, but i’ll probably make some other english errors… The option to mark the tuto as readed is not the more important. It’s just a way to manage it, the main thing is to have the articles. After, if you let people use them as they want, someone else can put it on a HTML page with this hated javascript or reader can manage it himself.
It’s important to know what you want do and what you don’t and it’s already great to help other as you can.

(Scott R) #23

We have lots of words spelt the same but pronounced differently.
Past tense - I just read a book (pronounced red)
Pre tense - I will read a book (pronounced reed)

Native English struggle with their own language so don’t be too hard on yourself, I find your posts easier to read than my teenagers txt replies.

(Kevin) #24

Language is a huge barrier, it’s easy to assume everyone can speak English but even if it is true people are far more comfortable to learn from something in their native language. Like I can sort of understand Spanish but forget trying to learn anything technical in it.

Something interesting I learned in Japan was that I thought English proficiency is pretty high but actually one challenge I was told is unique to computer science market. In school in Japan there is a point where the student will decide if they want to go into the technical side or into the liberal arts side, and if they choose to learn programming they won’t be taught any more English than what they learned in grade school and it is likely not valuable to their profession so they will drop practicing it.

So really its just important to remember that people can be intelligent in a lot of different ways and just because you can’t communicate it doesn’t mean there isn’t a wealth of knowledge or creativity.

(Pharap) #25

“u wot m8?”
“wot u up 2?”
“innit tho?”

(Ramon Moorlag) #26

this is what we are doing in the Netherlands with new teaching material.
Build in Markdown, formated with jekyll and hosted on GitHub. Be aware, materials are in beta and in Dutch.

https://eelcodijkstra.github.io/iot-0/html/index.html

(Ramon Moorlag) #27

There are proofreaders to prevent these kind of mistakes :slight_smile:

(Kevin) #28

It seems like there is a lot of game developers who are Dutch or Belgian. And electronic musicians too.

(Pharap) #29

I keep meaning to build myself a ‘GitHub pages’ page.
(I don’t know what I’d put on it though.)

Anyway, Markdown is a good choice. It’s very easy to use.
This forum actually uses it - you can write markdown in the comments.

Except for buzzwords like “Data Science”, “Artificial Intelligence” and “Internet of Things”. :P

Dutch has several similarities with German it seems.

(Ramon Moorlag) #30

Well. Together with a few colleagues we wrote a module on internet of things. Students can build an iot device after finishing the module. And it’s buzz word free :slight_smile: take a look. It’s very good with Google translate.

You should see some of the fragment ramblings I pretend to call sentances.

Oi m8ies wuts the plan :potato:

(Pharap) #32

Ah, I see you also speak ‘oik’.