CastleBoy - Castlevania demake!

(Todd Allen) #22

Hello,
So is the working Arduboy file now the active link at the top to the Post- or do I also make the comma change after the brace on line 22 and the extra comma after the closing brace on line 59?
I haven’t tried validating the JSONLint file… just give us a quick reply and then we all will download your game ‘with-reckless-abandon’!

(Joel Lauener) #23

The link in OP was broken after my change to the archive. It’s fixed now. You can download and play!

I got to the first boss. Well done graphics and old school hard.

I both love and hate the parts with platforms and enemies that will knock you off platforms. Just like on castlevania or ninja gaiden.

Great game hope to see sequels named as different levels this will make the gaming huge so you just download the level you want to play.I think most Devs should consider this due to limited space of device why not just release level packs?

(Andreas) #26

Just want to say this game is super amazing! It’s one of my favorites for Arduboy so far! Very impressive demake!

Oh my word I cannot believe how well crafted this is! Excellent work, particularly on the visuals, but also on the controls. I’d say the feel even tighter than the original Castlevania.

I’m curious if more levels would even be a possibility or if things are essentially already maxed out? Going to go back and play through this again!

(jones) #28

Use this to validate JSON: JSON Formatter

No reason why you couldn’t have numerous sketches to support the different levels

(ScrumpyJack) #30

is this game still being maintained? could you add the option to swap the A and B button functions?

(Pharap) #31

Apparentlyy @dir3kt was last online in May.

You could try making the change to the code yourself, or if you specify where exactly you want the A and B buttons swapped I could make the edits for you.

(ScrumpyJack) #32

yeah I know, could just swap ab.justPressed(A_BUTTON) and ab.justPressed(B_BUTTON) in

but it would be cool to have a menu item entry available

Someone can explain me how install the game ? :confused:

(Pharap) #34

Have you read the Quick Start Guide?

Ooops didn’t see it… Thanks :slight_smile:

I can’t reset my arduboy… and how can I use the .ardboy file ? I haven’t found any advices

(Simon) #37

Search is your friend.

Search for ‘bricked’ and you will find a few articles in this forum. You are aware there is a reset button on the bottom of the unit?

(Pharap) #38

What exactly do you mean by ‘reset’?

I believe the game is zipped inside the .arduboy.

If you’re just trying to play games and aren’t concerned with writing games, you should perhaps try @crait’s Arduboy Manager, details of which can be found here:

For future reference though, that quickstart guide was for if you were trying to compile and load the games via the Arduino IDE using their source code.

The source code for games is usually found on Github, for example:

You then open the main .ino file in the Arduino IDE (assuming you have fully installed it properly) and use the upload button mentioned in the quickstart guide to upload it to your Arduboy.

Not everyone publishes their games in the .arduboy format, some rely on people to be able to compile and upload games through the Arduino IDE, but for those that do use .arduboy, programs like Crait’s Arduboy Manager are the best approach.

It’s work !!! Thanks you very very much ! I finally can play with my arduboy in the train !!!

(Nunya ) #40

This is great. Very well made!

I am new to games and only have taken basic programming courses. Is there a way to make a template from your code?? That would be great…

I’ve tried briefing through it and like how everything is broken apart to it’s own variable. It seems useful but since I’m not sure how a game looks it would be useful to see a template of sorts to show the bigger picture!

(Pharap) #41

What do you mean by ‘a template’ exactly?