CatMines - A minesweeper clone for the Arduboy

Hey everyone!

After a bit of procrastination, I finally finished my first complete Arduboy game. It’s pretty simplistic, but it really took me through the ropes of programming on an embedded system lol.

Concept:
The game is called Catmines, and as you could probably tell, it’s a Minesweeper clone. The objective is to successfully mark all the mines (or cats) on the grid in the shortest amount of time possible. If you accidentally reveal a mine, the game ends. The game has three different difficulty levels, each with a different number of mines on the grid. Once you have won or lost, your time will be shown.

Controls:
Control the cursor using the arrow keys, A reveals a cell on the grid, while B marks one.
If you incorrectly marked a cell, you can unmark it by pressing B again.
Once the game has ended, press A to return to the title screen.

Update: I’ve uploaded the game to Itch.io if anyone is interested

CatMines_v1.hex (40.5 KB)

Thanks for taking a look, any feedback is appreciated!

5 Likes

Nicely done! I love a good minesweeper game.

Are you planning on sharing the code?

1 Like

Wow. Really love this! Really nice to play, simple to pickup, and fun graphical twist! Thanks so much for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great game! Very clean and fun to play.

1 Like

I like it, and think it’s a nice implementation. From some testing, it looks like you don’t suffer from instant death on first click like some versions. Here’s my feedback:

1. The cat theme only plays a part if you lose. It might be fun to see a cat face in the win dialog so you still get some feline goodness.

2. I’d like a shortcut, like holding the A button while over a number, to mark/clear all the mines if everything can be determined. This is similar to the way Windows Minesweeper would handle the middle click. For example if you’re on a “1” and there’s one “X” marked, this would act like a click on each square around the cursor.

3 Likes

This would be good for the ‘Easy’ mode… I kinda like marking them! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I actually wasn’t aware of that feature in minesweeper, but it would definitely be useful.

I wasn’t planning to, but I uploaded it to pastebin if you want to take a look!

2 Likes

I have made my own minesweeper on another platform so I am comfortable with the concepts. I think though that these sorts of games can teach other people new concepts - such as queues and stacks.

2 Likes

Yay- thanks! Would you consider adding to an online repository like GitHub? It’s a great way to let others interact with your code. It’s also a convenient way to add a License, etc.