Collaborative Arduboy Adventure Game

Moving discussion to here from Twitter :slight_smile:

So the idea is as follows. We agree on the format of a save file, eg, what parts of the save file denote game progression, what denote inventory and special items, characters in your party etc. Then each programmer who wants to participate can write a sketch that uses the save file to advance an overarching story. For example, I could write a sketch that has the players set in a medieval fantasy world, and the next person could instead place them in a futuristic sci fi world. The difference would be I would interpret a weapon with ID = 1 as a sword, and the next person would interpret it as a light sabre, or whatever :smiley:

At this stage it is more of an idea, but I’m putting it out there for people to expand. At this stage I imagine it being something like a party based adventure game, where your characters have fixed information like names (for continuity) and fluid information like stats (what represents magical ability in one sketch might represent mechanical prowess in another).

Obviously it would look more consistent if we agree on a game style, but I am not really adverse to people generating a sketch that lets you play a side scroller to improve the stats of a single character, or something like that.

There will need to be some thought about how to handle balancing, because there would be no reason someone couldn’t swap between sketches midway through an adventure. I imagine it will be fairly technically challenging to develop a save format that can be switched in and out without causing inconsistencies, while still fitting in the EEPROM space we have.

Anyway, what thoughts? I suddenly have a lot of ideas, but really would like to hear what everyone else thinks first.

(Mike McRoberts) #2

Travelling between sketches could be via a portal to alternate universes :slight_smile: