Color vs Colour (Library Localization Commentary)

The whole Arduboy library kills me … color instead of colour :scream:

3 Likes

Yeah, “color” is the American spelling, and in other English speaking countries, it’s “colour”. Hey, maybe we could see an Arduboy which has the correct spelling depending on which part of the earth you’re in at some point :wink:

Oh love that idea. It could throw some ‘Australianisms’ into the mix just for fun.

2 Likes

I think I wrote somewhere about a joke, or maybe I was serious about writing a minified version of the library with one letter function names:

a.p(“hello world”);

Would solve this localization squabble. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that would work … as long as there are only 26 methods in the library!

Sorry. Even though I’m Canadian and spell it colour, I decided to use American spellings in the Arduboy2 library documentation because the Arduboy is an American product (and some of the original documentation used American spelling). :books:

3 Likes

LOL … I was wondering if / when you might join the conversation. Like Canadians, Australians are so use to dropping the ‘u’ in everything (right neighbour?) that we almost don’t realise it any more … almost. Ah, there’s another one, the use of ‘s’ instead of ‘z’.

2 Likes

I actually never knew there are different spellings for that word :rofl:

It applies to most verbs ending in -ize and words ending in -yze, such as analyse / analyze. We also double the letter L, such as travelled versus traveled.

2 Likes

The first time my British friend pronounced “router” I lost it.

3 Likes

To be honest, that seems more normal to my eyes. I always feel like everything should have double “l”, don’t you?

Yep, me too.

Oh no, a Pharap-bait thread… :P

What throws me is when I have to keep telling people to use ‘flashlight’ mode instead of torch mode.

(I’m half tempted to propose renaming it to ‘safefy-light’ mode, since it’s effectively safe mode with an added light, and that would be a ‘culturally neutral’ term.)

It’s a massive can of worms:

• The American way is to use -ize for all such words.
  • The typical British way is to use -ise for all such words.

And then there’s ‘Oxford English’, which argues that words originating from the Greek -izo ending should be spelt with -ize, whilst those originating from Latin or French should be spelt with -ise.

(As much as I respect their dedication to etymology, I think the last thing English needs is another 200 spelling exceptions.)

Noah Webster is the man you can ‘thank’ for defence becoming defense, colour becoming color, traveller becoming traveler and centre becoming center. (And the patterns that follow those examples.)

Two centuries (and counting) worth of confusion and annoyance that could have been avoided.

When you consider the root word is ‘analysis’, it seems likely that the ‘z’ version is likely a phonetic respell of what was originally ‘analyse’.

That may well be one of Noah’s monstrosities.

Trust me, the feeling is mutual. :P
(Don’t even get me started on ‘vase’ or ‘cosmos’.)

1 Like

LOL … you and @MLXXXp!

I hate spelling reformists. He obviously under-rated his student’s ability to cope with these little things and thought he could dumb it down a little.

I am keen to see how you apply crude, school-boy humour to either of these words. ‘Router’ however …

1 Like

I concur. English is ‘broken’ enough as it is.

Anyone who has read The Chaos by Gerard Nolst Trenité will know English is beyond salvaging, so any further changes will only make life worse.

Or if you want a shorter example: enough, cough, plough, hiccough, although, thought, thoroughly.

You forget that the use of that word in the sense you’re thinking of is an Aus/NZ quirk. (And possibly Irish.)

@bateske probably wouldn’t have been thinking of that; unless he learnt it from you. (As I did.)

(In fact, I think there’s a good chance most people reading this won’t know what we’re talking about.)

Oh yeah … forgot that’s one of our words.

1 Like

For me a library is unique and contain instructions, functions based on current words only to be easiest to remember. The library does not have to use correct australian, american, english, german or french term, it’s just usual words used. For me, the fact to use american is natural when you’re american. Yes, many countries learn english, so it’s can be better to use english words but everyone know color for example. It was the term used in the first basics. It’s like difference between grey and gray.
I’m not good to use english or american, so i let you debate of the subject but for me, more than having a color / colour, grey / gray until americans and all other english talking persons agree to use same langage, the more important is that the library is alone and common to all the users even it have german, french, indian, russian, spanish or italian words as long as this word is currently known and easy to remember for users

Do you pronounce it “rooter” or “rouwter”? I think “rouwter” is more common in the U.S. and Canada.

But do you think the song should be
“I got my kicks, on rouwt 66”?

In Canada flashlight is used instead of torch.

The flashlight() function was proposed and added by @Dreamer3. As I’ve mentioned numerous times in the past, it was originally intended to be just that; to provide a bright light to help see in the dark. flashlight() had been implemented before the bootloader issue was discovered, along with the realisation that the function could help with getting around the problem. The use of flashlight() for the bootloader problem was serendipity. Subsequently, I enhanced flashlight() in the Arduboy2 library to help with the bootloader problem under more circumstances but it still can be used as a flashlight/torch.

Even with its more popular bug fix use, I always thought “flashlight” was still appropriate because it aids with a program flashing problem. :wink:

2 Likes

Honestly so long as I can understand intent I don’t really care how someone else pronounces or spells a word. And if I have trouble understanding so long as they can explain it to me I’m all good. Another landmine to step on is the pronunciation of solder, I cant tell you how many pointless comments I get on my videos complaining about how I say the word rather than something much more important and relevant like learning proper technique!

1 Like

In my observation people in the USA generally pronounce route, as “root” when talking about roads specifically (i.e. “root 66”), otherwise it’s “rouwt”, even then some people will use that second pronunciation for roads. I would venture a guess most people would say we already have the word “root” so this pronunciation serves as disambiguation?

Especially with British accent that drops the hard inflection the R the word ends up sounding like “woooter” to my ears.

There is a bhuddist saying that words are merely fishing poles for ideas, that once you have the fish you no longer need the pole.