Completely overhauled Arduboy

Housings_QFP:TQFP-48_7x7mm_Pitch0.5mm
I’m on release version of kicad 4.0.6. Let me know if you can’t find it and I’ll dig it out.

@MLXXXp Cool! How are you getting games to load from the SD card? I know how to wire it in hardware but I really need help with the software side (bootloaders, etc.)

@SimonMerrett I noticed that in your design you said it has both SPI flash and an SD card which might not be populated. I was thinking If game devs catch on to this new standard maybe games could be stored on the SD card and since the SAMD21 only has emulated EEPROM maybe the flash could be used for saving game data such as high scores, game settings, etc. just a thought

@JinxLynx if that’s a setup that makes it worth having both, then I’d be happy with it. I just don’t know what arrangements would suit whatever bootloader / game loader approaches that people come up with (I’m not strong on the coding front relative to most of the people on this forum).

By the way, did you find the SAMD21 footprint? I’d be grateful if you could confirm that you think it’s the right one when you do.

I haven’t yet. I’ve only gotten as far as using the standard Arduino SD library to read from the card. I haven’t worked on this system for a long time (I built it over 2 years ago).

You might want to look at what the Gamebuino Meta uses, and do the same or similar, since it’s based on the ATSAMD21.

I’m now leaning towards using a ATSAMD51 series chip. I feel the additional integer divide, floating point math, true random number generator, and better emulation of flash memory would be an advantage for a gaming system. However the Kickstarter campaign, for the board I’m planning to use for a prototype, has been delayed, plus my time has been limited lately.

1 Like

I’ve been flashing hex’s on a PurpleCardThing from SD using avr_boot which should also run on a Arduboy. I’ve not had time to look into it to see if it’s possible to use a file browse,rename then reboot or assign a hex to each button to avoid double flashing with a loader hex like the Gamebuino classic. The gamebuino classic uses a modified 2boots.
Your using an alternative MCU so I’m not 100% sure what’s available but thought I would share how far I got in the short time I looked into it for 32u4 and 328p.

Skimming the meta manual it looks like it also uses a loader.bin so it’s likely working similar to the classic.

You can mooch through the code here https://github.com/Gamebuino/Loader-META

@MLXXXp I didn’t realise that the meta used a SAMD21 - I thought it was an STM32. Sadly the developers seem to be keeping a lid on the hardware design at the moment. I don’t feel as though they should open source it if that’s the model they want to use but it’s not much help for we who are trying to learn from each other.

You may get find something of use in the repo’s https://github.com/Gamebuino

1 Like

@Keyboard_Camper Thanks but the repo is all SW, not HW, by the looks of it. I recall the developer having a fairly heated discussion on their forum when someone “threatened” to release HW details of the meta.

@SimonMerrett I did find the right footprint, thank you!

1 Like

@MLXXXp I’m having some difficulty wiring the oled properly to the samd21’s spi interface. On the breakout board you used, how did you wire the screen?

1 Like

Thank you that is just what I needed!

1 Like

@SimonMerrett I see your version uses a lcd rather than a oled. I’m thinking of moving to an lcd as well because these 2.42 oled displays are expensive and take a long time to ship. How did you get the arduboy’s libraries to work with the lcd?

@JinxLynx if you read the beginning of my WIP thread, you’ll see that I have no idea how to adapt the libraries to work with the LCD. I asked around and got the sense that there was enough expertise/generosity from the likes of @uXe, @Pharap and @MLXXXp (apologies to others if I have missed anyone else) that if I built the hardware, others would contribute to the software. “If you build it, they will come” isn’t always the best approach but I have a good feeling about this community.

Do you want to use the same LCD? It could certainly save coding effort and perhaps encourage software collaboration from others. I have done a footprint too - you’re welcome to have/use it.

1 Like

“with optional touch panel”

what

2 Likes

@bateske, I haven’t paid it much attention because it’s resistive, I haven’t interfaced with a touch screen before so didn’t want to bite off more than I needed to. Were you thinking menu selection and scrolling, rather than complete game control? I didn’t think it would be a big deal to start with but can see perhaps there are parts of the UX it could improve.

Just thought it was funny, that’s not a lot of space to be touchscreening.

i guess it’s bigger than a smart watch. But that’s why I didn’t like my Apple watch, also because it was heavy and then it died after a year.

@bateske, we’ll leave it for V2. 0 then!