[CONTEST COMPLETE] Arduel

(Mike McRoberts) #21

Did anybody take up this challenge?

I must admit, it is a pretty weird game and strange choice for a challenge but curious if anybody tried it?

(Pharap) #22

I started attempting it and then as usual got sidetracked onto a different project.

This is why I’ve never actually made an Arduboy game, I tend to get sidetracked with other projects or pick something difficult (because the easy stuff is ‘too easy’) or I’m too much of a perfectionist and try to make the code professional quality instead of settling for ‘it works’.

(curly) #23

i did, i made a few changes the platforms are placed somewhat randomly and varry in size

i inteend to finish the game regardless of wether or not there is still a reward

i havent added the bad guys yet and the riders wings dont flap yet but progress

(Kevin) #24

What! Have you not played the standup arcade? It’s such a classic and it has aged so well it feels like a current indie retro. There is really no other way to describe it as lit. :fire:

Not as far as I know, although @JO3RI has one made for gamby, it wouldnt take much time in adapting it.

This would also be a great game to try and do the 2 arduboy 1 pc multiplayer…

(Pharap) #25

It would be neat if there were some kind of portable secondary device acting as a server for Arduboys to enable multiplayer functionality.

I would make a prototype but I don’t have any equipment or experience with circuitry beyond soldering, so I drew a mediocre diagram and I’m throwing the idea out there in case anyone else thinks it would be a good solution to the lack of multiplayer capability.

(Similarly I’d give the 2AB1PC thing a go but I don’t know of any good serial libraries. I’ll stick it somewhere in my ever-growing todo pile.)

Communicate through serial
Just an Ardu-tease

@Pharap did you know this already exists ?

(Pharap) #27

That’s using chrome though, it’s not a separate device.
If you had a separate device doing the processing it would be portable.

Granted you could lug a large laptop around and use the Chrome program, but a custom-made Arduino-board based device with multiple USB ports would be more portable and more interesting.

(curly) #28

or a raspberry pi those are small and you can power em with battries

(Kevin) #29

At this point, we are focusing on how to offer direct multiplayer on the next hardware. Right now looking like a link cable of some sort. Possibly using an audio cable.

(Erwin) #31

What about BLE or cheap 433 mhz modules?

(Kevin) #33

Getting off topic here, suggest moving to one of the many future hardware threads

(curly) #34

Either way now that I have my shiny new arduboy work on arduel is my free time top priority

I would also like to participate. I bought a Gamebuino a while back, but never took the leap to buy an Arduboy. I thought this could be a good opportunity to try to win one!

I read this thread ages ago and wanted to try it, but there wasn’t an Arduboy emulator that I knew of then. I figured it would be harder to start without an easy way to test the game. Now that there is a (quite good) emulator, I figured I would give it a try, and here’s what I have so far! I made these gifs with ProjectABE, but the framerate seems a little faster than it actually runs in the emulator.

Joustish-proto-Player
I think I still want to revise the platform positions, but the player can flap around the play area!

Joustish-proto-AI
The AI animations haven’t been added here, but this is the AI jumping around and navigating platforms. It’s really simple, but it has pretty convincing movement.

(Kevin) #36

Whoah @wuuff did youcode this from scratch or did you use anything @JO3RI had built fro the gamby?

p.s. I freaking love this stand up arcade game.

I coded it from scratch. I looked at the gameplay videos of the gamby game for inspiration on how to approach the port, but the code and graphics are mine.

I think I’ll need to redo my enemy or player sprites, though, because the way I drew them they’re too hard to tell apart. @JO3RI did a good job with the art on the gamby game.

(Felipe Manga) #38

Sorry about that, it’s a known issue I haven’t gotten to, yet.

The game looks great, I look forward to playing it! Have you considered making the enemies gray (render only on odd/even frames) so you can tell them apart from the player (or vice versa)?

That’s a good idea, but I thought that the Arduboy screen had a high enough response time that flashing on and off on alternating frames would just make sprites flicker. Does the effect look fine on the hardware?

(Felipe Manga) #40

It’ll flicker a bit, even if the game’s at over 60fps, but I think that’d be better than not being able to tell your avatar from the enemies.

That’s true. I’m just hoping I can manage to make a sprite that’s distinct enough without having to rely on that. Good job on the emulator, by the way. I probably wouldn’t have started this project without it!

Here’s another gif of seven AIs running around like crazy:
Joustish-proto-AI-frenzy
The one standing at the bottom left is the player.

(Thomas) #42

JoustLogo