[CONTEST COMPLETE] Arduel

This is so exciting! @wuuff when you are happy with your release and want to submit it for evaluation, be sure to post a separate thread in the games category and link it here.

3 Likes

Sure, I’ll make a new thread when the game’s ready for release. I probably won’t have time to make more progress until next weekend.

In the meantime, is it fine to post progress updates in this thread, or should I just wait to post anything until it’s done?

@Dreamer2345, that’s a nice monochrome version of Joust’s title graphic! Did you make that?

4 Likes

Yea It took me quite a bit though XD

4 Likes

I wanted to give a brief update on the game. I had several weeks I was unable to work on it, so I was only able to make progress on it recently. The basic gameplay is mostly done. I have waves of bird riders spawn, eggs that hatch new bird riders, and egg waves that only spawn eggs. I still need to do scoring, lives, and balancing.

I had a few questions about the game since I’m submitting it for a contest. When I post my game, I was wondering whether I should publish the source immediately or wait until the contest is over. I’m fine publishing the source on release right off if there’s no problems with the contest.

I also was not sure about calling my Joust clone “Arduel,” since it’s more than one-on-one duels. I was thinking of calling it “Joustish” since it’s very much like Joust with enough differences to make it not just a straight port. (I also find the name amusing). I’m not a fantastic artist, though, so I was wondering if anybody else wanted to make a game logo whether it would be allowed for the contest. I was inspired by @Dreamer2345’s reproduction of Joust’s original logo to consider making a nice title screen, but I don’t think I could do it justice.

In the meantime, here’s another couple gifs:
Joustish-proto-Waves

Joustish-proto-Waves-2

8 Likes

Haha you can call the game whatever you like :wink:

3 Likes

The game is finally finished enough for me to put it up for evaluation! Here it is:

7 Likes

It is a success! Great game! You have claimed victory over this challenge!

Your reward is a Special Edition Arduventure Arduboy! Congratulations!

Please private message me for more details on how to claim your reward!

6 Likes

This is a cool idea. Will there be other contests or has there been there one like this?

Yep! Check the category. We did one before to make the original arduboy prototype and there is still one to make a game out of nyan cat!

https://community.arduboy.com/c/classifieds/bounties

We also run game jams from time to time, probably one coming very very soon!

6 Likes

Thank you! A special edition Arduboy is more than I could have hoped for!

5 Likes