[CONTEST COMPLETE] Bus Driver Simulator

Desert_Bus.ino.leonardo.hex

Completed by @Dreamer2345 !

Make a Bus Driving game and win a free Arduboy!

Have you played Arduboy on the bus?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

But what about… playing Bus Driver Simulator while riding the bus??

Really, just make this:

Winner of this contest will recieve a FREE Arduboy MODDED with @Mr.Blinky flash mod!

BONUS POINTS: If you can also roll play as a passenger in the game I’ll add an extra special secret.

7 Likes

I new this was going to be a desert bus joke as soon as I read the title

2 Likes

Sadly, I drive in a car and could possibly get pulled over and get a ticket here in Illinois if I was playing an Arduboy while driving. I would definitely would play Arduboy on a bus.

I think Desert Bus might be easy to program for the Arduboy. And might need the USB cord to charge your Arduboy while playing because it doesn’t last longer than 6 hours.

Maybe a spin-off of being a passager could be called, Bus Driver from Hell. You’ll have to keep your self centered. Pressing left or right would correct your center of gravity while the Bus Driver make a turn. You could get a severe concussion if your head hits the window or the edge of the torn unpadded seat and lose the game.

brainstorms

1 Like

Lol I didn’t even consider that the battery doesn’t last long enough, that’s great.

The bus prices here are extortionate.

And of course, here’s the obligatory “Another One Rides the Bus” by Weird Al:

1 Like

Additional bonus points will come if the sound track is this song.

EDIT:

2 Likes

Yes, I am going to play with arduboy2Base class to draw lines for the road. :slight_smile: Currently putting in variable data for the lines. I’ve never worked with 3D stuff, but experimented with line drawing on the old TI-83 back when I was a teen. The driver HUD going to be sprite class I am learning how to use. Of course, bug hitting the windshield will be in. I’m not sure about the song.

Let’s see the wheel turn, the speedometer, tachometer and clock all work!

I don’t know how the game runs, do you overheat if you hold the accelerator the whole time?

I know it’s supposed to drift to the side slightly.

I’ll try to get all that working. :sweat_smile:

The bus always overheats and run out of gas when you’re accelerating, which is why it only goes 45 miles per hour. If you let off the gas, then the meter goes back to not being overheat and it refuels. The dashboard is weird. You’re suppose to push the button down and steer the bus. If it hit the ditch, the tow trucks comes get you out and you get towed back to where you start in real time. So they want you drive the bus the entire time without taking a break.

1 Like

I want to see a faithful representation. I guess the passenger game can be a separate prize too.

Maybe if the game is good enough I will try to beat it on a livestream.

There is a bug at 1:45:05 … it hits the screen.

ArduDesertBus

This is my work in progress. I hit a snag with the dotted road, so temporary double line road right now. I will have to figure out how to overlay broken black line over the white line. I’m get more stuff working first then tackle that. Also figure out how to zoom object in from the distance. The tachometer is also going to be another challenge to get it rolling. Oh the clock may be flash at 12 since I accidentally drew it out of the screen and not realized it may be part of the game element :upside_down_face:. Will make the spinning pine tree leaf.

There’s 17592 bytes free so far. So there may be room to have bird splatter against the windshield. We’ll see.

6 Likes

My suggestion would be to draw a series of lines along that same path, think of it more like a star field simulation. An additive method instead of subtraction. You’ll need to store the location of the dots in an array and then calculate where to start and finish each line draw.

Then a function can advance the array depending on your speed.

I think it would be good to make it draw all of the lines as occasionally broken, to add to the depth feeling on a 1 bit display.

Not to throw a wrench in your works but there is also trees that go by on the side I think?

EDIT: No it’s bushes, there is a spinning air freshener.

and very bad edit of night mode:

RE-EDIT it’s probably better to prioritize the clock display than the door opening handle.

MORE-EDITS: You gotta make it so the player can enter their name :smiley:

I’M NOT YOUR BOSS BUT: Make sure you have a title screen and a victory screen!

2 Likes

what is the deadline?

No real deadline, if there are multiple contestants their submissions will be valid. At some point in the future I’ll close it down but if you want to work in parallel on this then make it into a real competition who can be done first or offer a more creative representation!

2 Likes

@kiwi any update on this? I am keen to see where this is going, bro.

DesertBus

Not much. I changed the dashboard to include the clock and kept the handle.

Things to figure out list:
road broken line - possible make 16 possible skewed animated road line graphics.
scaling side objects - cactus plants useless signs
custom font - for the name, clock, and odometer. I have some idea how to do this.

There is a 3x5 font here > 3x5 Font for those with good eyesight

1 Like

You could probably get away with using mipmaps instead of proper scaling.