Curve Ball - 3D

3D but not too much.

I still don’t know if it’s worth finishing. Would it be fun to play?

CurveBall

3DPong.ino.micro.hex (26.6 KB)

You know what’s enticing? Having 2 oleds side by side with a slightly different perspective of a 3D game like this for each eye and create stereoscopic vision. :scream:

7 Likes
2 Likes

Ya, It looks great.

this has some potential to be a great game imo

The original is a phenomenal game from the early 2000s. I have spent more hours than I would like to admit.

The “curve” balls are so satisfying!

But the fast and precise mouse control is integral to the experience. It would be hard to make it fair with the gamepad.

At least I would try to program the “curves” and see.

1 Like

You could split your screen in two 64x64 pixels squares in the same Arduboy. And then we could have a real 3D game. (And maybe use a circle for the ball instead of a square?)

Square is fine at the beginning to adjust game motor and it’s alot quicker as it’s alot less calculation to draw ball. The problem with 64 x 64 is that the size change is very limited for ball. As paddle is about 1/8 of the width of the screen it’s make a paddle of 8 px and ball is about 50% if the paddle so it 4px when big… so it’s let only few possibiliies to make ball change of size.

1 Like

Aside from the issues @Jean-Charles_Lebeau mentioned, it wouldn’t be enough to just split the screen into two 64x64 sections.

You’d also need to render the two viewports slightly differently because each eye observes the world from a different angle.

For it to work well the screen would also have to be positioned properly, so you’d likely need some kind of aparatus that would hold the screen at the right distance to turn the Arduboy into a proper stereoscope. Something like a Holmes stereoscope.

I don’t think it would be impossible, but it would be difficult.

Of course! Great idea!

Is there any arduboy game with that technique?

Then for visual “recombination” of both images one could use some contraption that hides one version to each eye or simply do the “magic eye”. Like the old books from the 90s. I’m old…

The advantadge is no need for extra hardware. Real stereoscopic 3D in stock arduboy. Like the 3DS. Only with some effort by the player.

Not enough pixels i’m afraid.

I have tried with the photos in this web and its hard. But when you get to “see” the 3d it’s cool.

Actually, the 3DS does use extra hardware. The screen has adjustable parallax barriers.
I suspect making decent parallax barriers for the Arduboy’s screen would require lots of precision and planning.

The ‘Magic Eye™’ books use a different autostereoscopic effect.
It might be possible to use the ‘cross-eyed’ or ‘wall-eyed’ effect on the Arduboy, but I can’t imagine it would be very comfortable to do for prolonged periods of time. If it is possible, it could be alright as a gimmick.

If your game weren’t about reaction times then you could attempt so-called pikupiku/wiggle stereoscopy, where the camera searches around the scene using motion parallax, but by that point you’re getting close to just doing proper 3D rendering.

I was thinking of something more like Nintendo Labo VR or Google Cardboard, possibly minus the lenses if it could be done without lenses, since that would be closest to modern VR and be both effective and comfortable.

Either way, it would probably be better as a separate project because of the nature of your game and the lack of pixels. A slower paced game like an RPG or puzzle game would probably be better suited. Or something more passive, like an animation.

Yes I meant cross-eyed. It would be just an experiment for a demo.

There is one advantadge with the arduboy for the cross-eye, though. The screen is very little so you wouldn’t have to cross a lot.

I already made a prototype of a stereoscopic 3D game on Gamebuino Meta. A single screen, divided in two, with slight offsets between the two images depending on the planes. And just squint to confuse the two images. No need for sophisticated hardware. For the size of the paddle, it would be enough to reduce it by half.

Has this progressed?

I wish!
Life is taking over.

LOL … that happens!

I was looking to add it to the cart. Should I add it as is?

It doesnt even qualify as a demo…
I will give it a look these days.
Check out my Almost Pong for the cart.
It is kind of finished and i find it interesting.

Way ahead of you … its already on!

I have a feeling it’d be too restrictive given the relatively low resolution of the arduboy oled. Parallax barriers are just lcd’s without the rear backlight/reflective layer that sit on top of the display, blocking out every other even or odd line. There also must be some sort of lenticular lens on top as to redirect even/odd columns to the left/right eyes. So effectively right off the bat going into 3d mode will halve your horizontal resolution. This works fine when the pixels are dense/small enough but with big chunky pixels like the arduboy has I have a feeling the effect wouldn’t work nearly as well.

The impression I got from the Wikipedia article is that parallax-barriers and lenticular lenses are two different ways of achieving autostereoscopy.

Placed in front of the normal LCD, it consists of an opaque layer with a series of precisely spaced slits, allowing each eye to see a different set of pixels, so creating a sense of depth through parallax in an effect similar to what lenticular printing produces for printed products and lenticular lenses for other displays.

I’ve certainly never seen any mention of lenticular lenses in regards to how the 3DS works.

At any rate, I wasn’t really recommending it, I was just clarifying that the 3DS does use special hardware, and hand-waving it away as being too complicated without going into detail.
(I had left the Wikipedia link for anyone who cared enough to know more.)

If anyone is actually looking to develop a stereoscopic version of the Arduboy then I still think something along the lines of a Holmes stereoscope, Nintendo Labo VR or Google Cardboard would be the more practical option - a reasonably good effect without too much effort.

The cross-eye and pikupiku effects are easier to pull off but generally don’t give particularly good effects, and anything else (e.g. parallax barriers and lenticular lenses) is probably going to be overengineered, but perhaps there are some other options I didn’t find the first time I went looking?