Dark & Under in Color (for Android)?

Not really arduino related, but I discovered yesterday that the tool I used to prototype Dark and Under (Processing/JAVA) can now compile apks for Android.
https://android.processing.org/index.html

So naturally, I’ll try to port Dark and Under on my phone :), but this time, in COLLLLLOOOOOORRRR!

darkUnderCOLOR2

15 Likes

Sooooo nice! When do we get colour on the Arduboy again?

7 Likes

So cool. Thanks :wink:

Looks like something that could work really well on Gamebuino META too, no?

2 Likes

Is your prototype available somewhere?

I dream of it… @luxregina did you have one or want to try to port this dreaming game on META ?
I dream to have the teams working together on this nice hardware consoles :wink: So many skills here

Talk about hyping me up like crazy.

I own two devices. There is also a web-based simulator. You compile using the Arduino software, same event/frame loop style programming model as Arduboy.

So assuming the code’s update and display are already separate concerns it’d really be just a matter of plugging in the META’s library vs the arduboy’s for the graphics (and input) - and of course providing color assets for everything.

Please do it if you can, sorry for this little out of subject but your idea to port it was too exciting for my minds to avoid it… :slight_smile:

Looks awesome. I wonder is this would be doable for those 96x64 cheap color OLEDs

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback!

• I haven’t started the code yet, I’m finishing up a few graphics before starting, most likely in few hours, so a prototype isn’t available yet.

• I do have a gambuino meta (the wooden kickstarter version) but never really used it: the community didn’t seem as active as here, so I ended up putting it in a drawer. I’d be interested by a collaboration if you can recommend someone reliable… The problem with collabs is to find people that will actually produce something, and not run away after a while, or once the concept is done, because the grind of finishing a game isn’t very interesting for a lot of people. I had good experiences and bad ones, so I’m always a bit hesitant to sink some time into them. I’m also very particular to work with, so it’s a bit of an acquired taste :wink:

• For now, the only plan is Android, because, with Processing, it’s something where I’m completely self-reliant: if it fails, it’s because of me :slight_smile: then, once done, I’ll surely be open to collaborate with anyone that wants to port it to other platforms. But I’d rather keep my focus on what’s completely under my control for the moment. So Gamebuino meta, if it happens, will be a port.

• I have a bunch of projects in the air, notably a VR game I’m finishing, and a brand new AR class to prepare, so it’s a low priority item :frowning: - I gave myself until Sunday night to see where I can go.

• Eventhough it’s not Arduino, since it seems you guys may have some interest for that port, I’ll keep you updated with the progress in that thread :slight_smile: Thanks again, it’s always better to be working on something while knowing that people are supportive of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doubtful: I’ve upped the resolution a bit (I’m currently designing the game at 150x80). While it could be managed to fit the assets in 128*64 with a bit of UI reshuffling, 96x64 is really pushing it… It’s basically the size of my viewport, with no UI at all

It’s called a Pokitto. :P

Also, I’ll just leave this here…

If it runs on the META then it should run on Pokitto too.
(Just saying. :P I moderate there too, so I am completely biased.)

I think this is a fairly sensible approach as long as processing doesn’t let you go too crazy with memory consumption.
If the game’s scope isn’t much larger than the original then it almost certainly won’t be a problem.

This is very true unfortunately.

Another good reason for developing ‘in-house’ and then having ports to other consoles.
The people doing the porting can port it in their own time with the assets and mechanics of the original and minimal tweaking, and it doesn’t matter a great deal if they give up after a while.

Ah! well… Processing is very flexible, and I’m an “artist that codes” - so you’d bet that my code will be far from optimized! :wink:

Have you considered Lua and Love2d? Even easier to port to other (more sophisticated platforms) AFAIK. Like iPad, the web, etc.

Just did some rough edits for 96x64. The UI could shift in view on demand. Don’t think it looks bad :slight_smile:

dark-under-96-x64-mockup

Going to try and see how this looks on 0.96" color OLED for real :smile:

5 Likes

Nah, I would need to learn them :slight_smile: I already know Processing and C#/Unity, and not being a coder, that’s all I need/have time for, for the moment.
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to learn other languages, but that would get in the way of me doing stuff that I’m more efficient/better at: I’m a game designer first, an artist, second, and I’m trying to keep the pace of publish 2 games every year, and learning a new dev tool would seriously impact that.

2 Likes

Nice! for that matter, the arrows wouldn’t be needed onscreen because one could use the console buttons. And yes, sliding the UI on demand would be the way to go.

That color oled is soooo small. The 128x128 oled is a better choice, and at that rate just make it a pico-8 cart.

Pico-8 might actually have less room for graphics than Arduboy, LOL.

Am I just dumb? I have no idea what to do with the scrolls I find in the maze.