I own two devices. There is also a web-based simulator. You compile using the Arduino software, same event/frame loop style programming model as Arduboy.
So assuming the code’s update and display are already separate concerns it’d really be just a matter of plugging in the META’s library vs the arduboy’s for the graphics (and input) - and of course providing color assets for everything.
I haven’t started the code yet, I’m finishing up a few graphics before starting, most likely in few hours, so a prototype isn’t available yet.
I do have a gambuino meta (the wooden kickstarter version) but never really used it: the community didn’t seem as active as here, so I ended up putting it in a drawer. I’d be interested by a collaboration if you can recommend someone reliable… The problem with collabs is to find people that will actually produce something, and not run away after a while, or once the concept is done, because the grind of finishing a game isn’t very interesting for a lot of people. I had good experiences and bad ones, so I’m always a bit hesitant to sink some time into them. I’m also very particular to work with, so it’s a bit of an acquired taste
For now, the only plan is Android, because, with Processing, it’s something where I’m completely self-reliant: if it fails, it’s because of me then, once done, I’ll surely be open to collaborate with anyone that wants to port it to other platforms. But I’d rather keep my focus on what’s completely under my control for the moment. So Gamebuino meta, if it happens, will be a port.
I have a bunch of projects in the air, notably a VR game I’m finishing, and a brand new AR class to prepare, so it’s a low priority item - I gave myself until Sunday night to see where I can go.
Eventhough it’s not Arduino, since it seems you guys may have some interest for that port, I’ll keep you updated with the progress in that thread Thanks again, it’s always better to be working on something while knowing that people are supportive of it
Doubtful: I’ve upped the resolution a bit (I’m currently designing the game at 150x80). While it could be managed to fit the assets in 128*64 with a bit of UI reshuffling, 96x64 is really pushing it… It’s basically the size of my viewport, with no UI at all
If it runs on the META then it should run on Pokitto too.
(Just saying. :P I moderate there too, so I am completely biased.)
I think this is a fairly sensible approach as long as processing doesn’t let you go too crazy with memory consumption.
If the game’s scope isn’t much larger than the original then it almost certainly won’t be a problem.
This is very true unfortunately.
Another good reason for developing ‘in-house’ and then having ports to other consoles.
The people doing the porting can port it in their own time with the assets and mechanics of the original and minimal tweaking, and it doesn’t matter a great deal if they give up after a while.
Nah, I would need to learn them I already know Processing and C#/Unity, and not being a coder, that’s all I need/have time for, for the moment.
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to learn other languages, but that would get in the way of me doing stuff that I’m more efficient/better at: I’m a game designer first, an artist, second, and I’m trying to keep the pace of publish 2 games every year, and learning a new dev tool would seriously impact that.