DevKit Arrival?

I received and email over two weeks ago with my tracking number and that I should receive my developer kit within the next two weeks. At what point to I start to really look into this? The tracking number doesn’t give any useful information about when it will arrive or where it is. The FedEx guy here is terrible always leaving packages outside my apartment door even when there is no one home so I’m a little worried. Is it coming through USPS, UPS, or FedEx?

Thanks!
Gavin

1 Like

I received the email with tracking number on the 27th and also still waiting though for me the tracking says “The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 9-Oct-2015”, does it say something like that for you too? Do know there were some Chinese holidays that caused some delay with the delivery. Lets hope we’ll get it soon!

1 Like

The latest update on mine says, “Information Received (This is not an acknowledgment of the physical receipt of the stated Registered Article)” which is mentioned in the email. Hopefully it’s just because of the holiday’s holding things up. If having things shipped to my apartment were more reliable I wouldn’t be stressing about it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m looking forward to start working on some concepts for this!

1 Like

Mine says “Arrival at Destination Post” since 4 days ago. I guess it’s either at or through customs.

1 Like

I just got mine yesterday in the mail it took about 3 weeks.

2 Likes

Customs plays a significant role in shipping times. Sorry about any delays. Maybe @bateske can give a guess on how long the process should take on average. @MellowHype, did the tracking status reflect the state the parcel was in during its’ journey? Was it informative at all?

It’s very possible once it’s through customs tracking will not update locally. I had that issue with my devkit finally showing up 1.5 weeks after Singapore post said it arrived in Canada.

-edit-
I was quoting Atomic yet the forums put ekem post in my reply. =/

Just checking, but is everyone aware that one of the best options to try when a package crosses borders is to use exactly the same tracking number in the new countries’ tracking system?

I have regularly found that when packages arrive in Canada, the foreign post stops getting detailed updates, but I can then use the same tracking number with Canada Post.

Maybe everyone already does this, but I was not certain based on reading the details in the threads.

I did but sometimes foreign tracking does not transfer when it’s simply just registered mail. I also pointed out in the other topic I tried all local postal services (sometimes purolator picks up international packages) but they did not show the tracking number in their systems and still don’t even after it’s been delivered.

Hey guys, it typically takes 2-3 weeks for stuff to ship. Here is our process:

The factory (seeed studio) built all the developer kits for kickstarter and tindie. Because we already had the shipping information for kickstarter backers, seeed was able to drop ship those directly from the factory.

Seeed used singappore post, because thats their standard method of shipping from their web store. I hadn’t used it before but they have lots of satisfied customers so I left it up to them. Usually when I buy from them I get DHL but it’s 3 times more expensive (usually around $20-30 for shipping even small parts). The good news with DHL is that tracking works great and you get it in 3 days so you get what you pay for.

Singapore post clearly provides the least tracking info I’ve ever seen from a shipper, basically it just tells you that the tracking number is valid but doesn’t really give you any more info than that. There is actually a reason for this that I will discuss here later on involving freight forwarders.

The remainder of the units were shipped to our office where we took 100 units in stock and updated the Tindie website to reflect that. For these orders we shipped them as they came in through Hong Kong Post. This is a service used by dangerous prototypes and they really like it. It provides a little more information than sing post, but still only tells you once it’s in Hong Kong and then once again when it’s in the destination Country. Which isn’t bad, but we can still improve on this.

The important thing to note is shipping in China isn’t as straight forward as the US or other countries where you just drop the packages off at the carrier. While this is possible, it creates a lot more paperwork and actually we won’t have as good discount as larger companies that ship a large volume of product continuously. We use a service called a freight forwarder, which provides shipping services to many small companies, bundles the shipments together and then can provide a much lower cost to ship.

The challange we hit on the Tindie shipments this time, is there was the Mid-Autumn Festival in China which is a holiday in which pretty much everything shuts down for 2 weeks. 750 million people go home to their families and cities like Shenzhen are left almost completely vacant. This includes the Chinese Customs operating at the border. So our packages sat for a while to get into Hong Kong.

The packages are still considered in possession of the freight forwarder as they cross the border and are only given a tracking number once they arrive in Hong Kong. This is why all of our tindie orders had no update for about a week.

In the end, we have only had a couple people have problems with their shipments and we are always able to resolve them. Finding a better shipping solution is something that I’m going to work very hard on when I go back next week so that the kickstarter orders can go out smoother.

At the very least, for US and Canada, it looks like we will send a bulk shipment to our headquarters in Portland via DHL and then send USPS from there. It may be a little bit faster and we will have better tracking information.

For international orders things will likley be a little rocky for a while, as we probably will stay with our current solutions. We will work with Seeed studio to try and find something better as well. And last but not least, when we have our web store up we should at least allow you to select DHL although the cost will be more.

So in the end, patience usually pays off in this stage but if you ever have any questions don’t hesitate to contact me or ekem if you have some struggles.

Thanks everyone!

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! I didn’t know I could use that same tracking number for local service. Looks like I should be getting my Arduboy DevKit tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @bateske

I just want to thank you for the detailed information you provide in the forum all the time. I’m waiting for the final Arduboy and I’m not mad that it takes a bit longer. I backed another project in kickstarter which should be finished in January 2014 and I haven’t heard anything since May.

Please continue with your great communications! :smile:

2 Likes

I received my DevKit this week. At one point the Singapore Post tracking site didn’t receive any updates. I was able to pop the tracking number in to the USPS website and track it at that point.

Mine arrived a few days ago and I’ve started messing with it. Really cool!

I still haven’t received a tracking number for my devkit @bateske. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

I live on the west coast and just received my Arduboy today. The tracking number still says its on the east coast. I hope you get yours soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you received the tracking number yet @chudchud?

@chudchud send me a PM with your details and I can look you up, get you taken care of. Some tracking numbers got stuck in spam folders. There were one or two that slipped out without tracking.

1 Like

How do I PM? I can’t seem to find any compose message options in my mailbox.

If you click on a user’s profile avatar, that is the circle with their user image inside, you can find an option to message that user in the panel it brings up.