[Discuss] Arduboy Quick Start Guide

Arduino IDE V1.6.8 is now released. Since adding the Arduboy library to the library manager was a 1.6.8 release milestone, I would assume that it’s now available to all.

If this is the case, then the Quick Start Guide should be updated to instruct that using the library manager is the primary method of installing the library. Downloading the .zip and installing manually should now be a secondary alternative.

5 Likes

Can you plz tell me on which arduino is the arduboy based? It is not the arduino leonardo, it’s to small for this.

Yes, it is the Leonardo : )

But all things, that are not needed were removed from the circuit board right? Because it is so small.

Physically, the Arduboy (86 mm x 54 mm) is actually larger than a Leonardo (69 mm x 53 mm).

From a software point of view, they both use the ATmega32U4 processor and Leonardo bootloader, which is all that’s really required to look like a Leonardo. The main differences are the power supply circuitry, plus the OLED display, buttons, speaker and RGB LED added to the Arduboy, with the shield connection headers, ICSP header and external power jack removed.

1 Like

The ability to select Arduboy or Arduboy DevKit as the board type has been implemented and is currently being tested. If you’d like to try it, see:
http://community.arduboy.com/t/testing-of-arduboy-and-arduboy-devkit-board-selection-in-the-ide/1069

1 Like

The instructions for doing this, which were provided in the separate board installation guide, have now been incorporated within Step 2 of this Quick Start Guide.

Other parts of the guide have been re-worked and a link to the detailed guide for installing sketches has been included in Step 4.

As usual, any comments on errors, issues, confusion or improvement suggestions are welcome.

1 Like

“brain fart” -> “clear the air” You did that on purpose, right? :wink: :smile:

1 Like

can someone make a video on how to add game to the arduboy using windows

@wingsofsarrow this video helped me when I was struggling to add games using the quickstart guide:

https://youtu.be/5_pB3-uREm4

If that doesn’t help, send me a pm and I can give sort of a step by step, using what I’ve learned as a total noob.

3 Likes

As soon as I can erase one and then reinstall it, I will make a (crappy) video showing how to do this. I have never made a video before, so bear with me. Once I become expert in Arduboy code, I will be willing to help. I have some games that I wrote years ago for the Timex 1000 and the 2068. I want to update them. I wrote “No Invaders” back in 1983. This was a book of nothing but graphics. I wish that I kept it in printed form. Oh, well.

1 Like

Will Kickstarter Arduboys be updated?

An AVR programmer is needed to update the bootloader. The required files will likely be made available, so you could do it yourself with the proper equipment and skills. I suspect if Arduboy offers to do bootloader updates, it will be something you’ll have to pay for.

1 Like

I have a few of these. I would be willing to help with these.

2 Likes

I couldnt do anything with the card. I wiped every trace of it on my Windows system. I reinstalled Arduino and made sure that I picked Com3. This wasnt available before. Now it works.

I uploaded the adruboy librabry but i get errors whenevr i compile This is the error i get when i compile the example HelloWorld sketch:
Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 8.1), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

In file included from c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\include\avr\io.h:99:0,

from c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\include\avr\power.h:35,

from C:\Users\standard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy-1.1\src\core/core.h:4,

from C:\Users\standard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy-1.1\src\Arduboy.h:4,

from C:\Users\standard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy-1.1\src\Arduboy.cpp:1:

C:\Users\standard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy-1.1\src\Arduboy.cpp: In member function ‘void Arduboy::initRandomSeed()’:

C:\Users\standard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy-1.1\src\Arduboy.h:23:39: error: ‘MUX4’ was not declared in this scope

#define ADC_VOLTAGE (_BV(REFS0) | _BV(MUX4) | _BV(MUX3) | _BV(MUX2) | _BV(MUX1))

^

C:\Users\standard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy-1.1\src\Arduboy.cpp:141:42: note: in expansion of macro ‘ADC_VOLTAGE’

randomSeed(~rawADC(ADC_TEMP) * ~rawADC(ADC_VOLTAGE) * ~micros() + micros());

^

C:\Users\standard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy-1.1\src\Arduboy.cpp: In member function ‘uint16_t Arduboy::rawADC(byte)’:

C:\Users\standard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy-1.1\src\Arduboy.cpp:150:18: error: ‘MUX5’ was not declared in this scope

ADCSRB = _BV(MUX5);

^

exit status 1
Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

Wht is the solution. Thanks

You have to select Arduboy or Arduino Leonardo as the board type, as instructed in Step 3 of the guide.

Also, Arduino IDE 1.6.6 is a bit old an may cause problems. Please update to Arduino 1.6.9 (Don’t use 1.6.10 It causes problems with the Aduboy library at the moment.)

I am trying to make my own version of the arduboy and im using the UNO for the current prototype

Then you may wish to start with the modifications I made to the Arduboy library to work with the ATmega328P (and please continue the discussion in that thread).
http://community.arduboy.com/t/12-arduboy-compatible-system/236/55?u=mlxxxp

1 Like

hi does this go in a html version I went htm like for 5 months and gave up (out of Bordem ) but I wasn't doing any fun stuff but now I am so please try get back to me