[Discuss] Arduboy Quick Start Guide

Right … I think I was mixing to two.

Because they were the original boards from when Arduboy was originally funded on kickstarter:

Nobody gets something right the first time around.
Technology always takes a couple of iterations of improvement.

2 Likes

I guess first you will need to know what Kickstarter is:

By backing you donate to fund a project to support it and are rewarded with a gift depending on the level of your donation.

What you receive may or may not be the final product, you can submit feedback to the developer and they may enhance the design in the final phase your essentially receiving pre-release review hardware.

I’ve wrote up a short history of the Arduboy for you:

A brief history of Arduboy-The story of Kevin a small town girl with big city dreams…

Young Kevin whilst playing with his rubber duck Sam is visited by an an Elf whom fell off his shelf, “Behold the mighty OLED young man” the elf screeched as he gifted young Kevin with a SSD1306 OLED.
Kevin bewitched by the OLED’s tantalising glow immediately left Sam in a storm drain besides Timmy’s boat and started tinkering.

Kevin tinkers for several days and several nights to finally forging his masterpiece, a tiny sized gaming device and on its tiny glowing screen there is the magic game runes of the Red Devil himself. Consumed and corrupted by the darkness that is often caused by too much exposure to ThatGameWeShallNotSay Kevin is sent insane.

It is not known what happened for a period but it is believed Kevin spent some time perfecting the dark arts that had consumed him, claiming he had his sanity and was looking for a job Kevin unleashed his ultimate darkness on the world he showed them his perfected dark device, corrupting all who would gaze upon its tantalising glow it was ThatGameWeShallNotSay sneakily hidden within what would first appear to be a business card.

Spell struck and now wanting more the public head to Tindie in the hope of finding a cure to be met the by none other than the Deveopment kit 1st edition aka the first wave. Now touched by its darkness the public cry out for more and it is here Kevin realised world domination was within his grasp. He opened the door unshackled the beast and set the Kickstarter free (wave 2).
The public now completely consumed by the darkness snapped up the Kickstarters spawn as their own.

First the Development Kits 2nd editions then the white ones and soon every colour they could possibly morph into was in the public’s grasp…
TBC

1 Like

Discussing the various iterations of the Arduboy hardware doesn’t have much to do with the content of the Quick Start Guide, which is what this topic is intended for.

Please take these discussions elsewhere.

Affirmative
Deleting these posts (sometimes I cannot end a conversaiton I started HELP)

You just said above that you agree that we were going off topic and now you’re posting a question that has nothing to do with the Quick Start Guide.

Please discuss the Arduboy2 library in its topic. And read the Arduboy2 documentation before asking questions. Your question is already answered in the documentation.

2 Likes

The guide isn’t working for me. When I plug the Arduboy into my laptop, the red light at the bottom comes on, but it doesn’t show up on mu computer at all

Does the Arduboy already have a working game on it?

You’ll need to have the Arduboy turned on.

If your Arduboy is turned on and plugged into your laptop but it is still not recognized, make sure you are using a data usb cable and not a charge only cable. The yellow light should flash indicating a USB data connection.

You might try a second PC to isolate the issue.

Let us know if the Arduboy runs a game already, confirm that it’s turned on and let us know what step of the guide you are on.

1 Like

My Arduboy already has Squario loaded onto it. It’s turned on when I plug it in, and I’m on Step 3: Connect your Arduboy and Set the Board Type and Port

It says the Arduboy should appear as “Arduino Leonardo”, but it doesn’t appear anywhere

What kind of computer are you on? Mac or PC?

When you plug in the Arduboy to the USB while it is on, does a yellow LED light flash next to the red LED?

Were you able to program it before? How did it get Squario on it?

1 Like

I’m on a PC

There’s no yellow light, just a red one

I bought this Arduboy off a friend who already had Squario on it

What kind of USB cable are you using? Is it the one included with the Arduboy? Are you able to confirm you can transfer data over this cable? i.e. can you transfer files from a phone or hard drive using this cable?

You might try a different cable.

When you plug in the Arduboy it should make a USB connected sound like when you plug in any other kind of USB device.

I’m pretty sure I’m using the wrong cable, because I only use this one to charge my phone. Is the included cable the only one that will work? If not, where can I get a working one?

Any other Micro-usb cable will work, so long that it has a data connection. If it’s one you use to charge your phone, if you plug your phone into the PC, are you able to browse the files on the phone? (Assuming it’s Android) If doing this and nothing shows up on your computer for your phone either, it’s a charge only cable…

You might ask to borrow your friends cable he used. Bug him for some help, he figured it out before he sold it to you by all means. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I called my friend and he said he’d get me the cable tommorow. I’ll message you back if i have any more problems. Thanks!

2 Likes

So I got the cable, but I have a question. Since Squario is already on the Arduboy, do I need to manually remove it in order to put another game on there, or is that done automatically?

Just perform the upload, the game will be overwritten automatically!

Ok, thanks!

Ok, yep, still not working. When I plug this cable in, a green light comes on, but that’s it. “Port” is still greyed out, so I don’t really know what to do now

When you plug it in, do you hear a USB connected sound? Do you know how to get into device manager? It should show up in com ports:

Of you don’t see it in com port, check to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks on anything.