[Discuss] Arduboy Quick Start Guide

(Scott) #45

That guide isn’t very specific about where to extract the .tar.xz file to. It just says: “When the download is finished, expand the Arduino tar.xz package into a folder where the Arduino Software (IDE) will run.

The best place is probably under /opt/. If you want it there, move the .tar.xz file into /opt/ and extract it there. You may have to do this using sudo or as root and the same may apply to running the ./install.sh command but try each as your own user ID first.

However, if you just want it installed locally in your own Home folder, I wouldn’t put it in a folder on the Desktop. I’d create a folder under Home called something like ArduinoIDE (don’t use just Arduino). Move the .tar.xz file into this folder and extract it there.

Once installation is complete, you can delete the .tar.xz file, if you wish.

Another thing:
If you’ve installed a version of the Arduino IDE using your distribution’s package manager, you should uninstall that first.

(Ross) #46

Yeah, sorry, the main point of the post was to make sure their user was in the dialout group. Totally correct I gave the process for using a local copy of the IDE.

tar will also now sort out the file type with tar xf <filename> which is nice.

(Kevin) #47

bump for xkcd :wink:

(Scott) #48

Ubuntu with the Unity interface, and I suspect most other Linux desktop environments, will allow you to extract tar and other archive formats directly from the GUI.

With the tar file in the proper folder that you wish to extract it to, right click on the tar file’s icon and choose Extract Here.

(Scott) #49

It looks to me like the Arduino people have now added the Arduboy library to the list of available libraries. If this is true (someone else should try it), Step 2 of this guide should be changed to instruct on installing the library using the Library Manager.
I.e.:

• From the IDE menus, select: Sketch -> Include Library -> Manage Libraries...
    The Library Manager window will appear.

• In the Filter your search… field, at the top right, enter arduboy. The Arduboy library should be listed.

• Click on a blank area in the Arduboy library listing.

• Select the latest version available from the drop down menu.

• Click on Install. The word INSTALLED should appear at the top right of the listing.

• Close the Library Manager window. The Arduboy library is now installed and ready for use.

See the Using the Library Manager section of the Installing Additional Arduino Libraries guide for more information.

(Ross) #50

Linux 64 contains the library in the list, but it didn’t come up for me in the latest Windows builds.

Alright, so i’m not dealing with linux anymore. Just purchased a new PC. When I plug in the Arduboy, nothing displays on the computer. The Arduboy is not recognized. I have tried multiple usb ports. Nothing seems to popup on my computer when I plug into any of them.

(Tom Stewart) #52

Is the Arduboy powered on? When it’s not on, it definitely won’t show up…

Hey Tom, thanks. I must have been having a brain fart yesterday.

(Tom Stewart) #54

Happy to help clear the air…

(Kevin) #55

(Kevin) #56

(Kevin) #57

(Scott) #58

Arduino IDE V1.6.8 is now released. Since adding the Arduboy library to the library manager was a 1.6.8 release milestone, I would assume that it’s now available to all.

If this is the case, then the Quick Start Guide should be updated to instruct that using the library manager is the primary method of installing the library. Downloading the .zip and installing manually should now be a secondary alternative.

Can you plz tell me on which arduino is the arduboy based? It is not the arduino leonardo, it’s to small for this.

(Ross) #60

Yes, it is the Leonardo : )

But all things, that are not needed were removed from the circuit board right? Because it is so small.

(Scott) #62

Physically, the Arduboy (86 mm x 54 mm) is actually larger than a Leonardo (69 mm x 53 mm).

From a software point of view, they both use the ATmega32U4 processor and Leonardo bootloader, which is all that’s really required to look like a Leonardo. The main differences are the power supply circuitry, plus the OLED display, buttons, speaker and RGB LED added to the Arduboy, with the shield connection headers, ICSP header and external power jack removed.

(Scott) #63

The ability to select Arduboy or Arduboy DevKit as the board type has been implemented and is currently being tested. If you’d like to try it, see:
http://community.arduboy.com/t/testing-of-arduboy-and-arduboy-devkit-board-selection-in-the-ide/1069

(Scott) #64

The instructions for doing this, which were provided in the separate board installation guide, have now been incorporated within Step 2 of this Quick Start Guide.

Other parts of the guide have been re-worked and a link to the detailed guide for installing sketches has been included in Step 4.

As usual, any comments on errors, issues, confusion or improvement suggestions are welcome.