DIY Arduboy Contest (on Hackster.io)

Announcing the DIY Arduboy Contest hosted by Hackster.io!

Make an Arduboy compatible system for a chance to win cash and prizes! Contest goes live at 9am Pacific on May 6th and ends on June 30th! Giving the community a little heads up!

• 1st Place: Arduboy FX + $75
  • 2nd Place: Arduboy FX + $50
  • 3rd Place: Arduboy FX + $25
  • 20 Runner Ups: Original Arduboy
  • 10 Random Participation: FX Mod-Chip

If you’ve already created a home made Arduboy before, you can document it using the Hackster platform to participate. The project creator has an import tool that works pretty well with the Arduboy Community so it’s easy for you to join!

But you are encouraged to make something new! 50 coupon codes for free upgrade to Super Swift service from OSH Park are available to help!

Bonus Points:

• New Platform - Use a new processor to be Arduboy compatible. ESP32? RP2040?
  • Custom PCB - If your project uses a custom designed PCB it will get extra points.

Surprise, I’m working at Hackster now!

After getting a bunch of attention on their platform for the Nano and Arduglasses we began speaking about working together, and I will be the new Contest Manager at Hackster! This is an awesome opportunity to help teach more people about making and sharing hardware, not limited to a single platform.

But what about Arduboy?

What about it! It’s still going on strong! Hackster will be taking a priority but I will still be shipping orders and producing product as demand allows. My new job at Hackster will actually really help Arduboy as I won’t need to draw a salary from it, letting me reinvest all of the profit.

But for now, no new plans other than shipping the FX and starting the next batch!

So jump over to Hackster, join the contest and submit your project for a chance to win!

If you have any questions about the contest, my new job or any feedback in general please do so below! Thank you for all of your support over the years, I am really excited about this new chapter!

15 Likes

excellent seems that it’s a good chance to submit my ESPboy )
congratulations Kevin on a new job!

6 Likes

Nice work. Congratulations!

3 Likes

Oh I should also say that if you see any posts on social media about it really helps if you retweet it!

I’m looking at doing a live stream next week where I try to make a breadboard Arduboy from scratch as fast as possible! Stay tuned!

3 Likes

This is very good news; I’m glad you have the stress of depending on this product for your income being put away. Now to think of some neat idea for an Arduboy-compatible device.

3 Likes

Congrats on the new job Kevin! Been awhile since posting. New baby is going well. Hoping to finish my games jam game even though the contest is up.

Bless you man!

2 Likes

What is ‘Pacific’?

Pacific Time Zone, seriously?

1 Like

Ah, ok, UTC-07:00. So that’s 2021-05-06T16:00:00Z

Yes, seriously. Until now I’ve never had any cause to know what ‘Pacific time’ is. I thought it was an autocorrect mistake or something.

3 Likes

Super exciting! Congrats on the new job and I’ll look to submit my entry before the end of the month :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just entered, yay finally an arduboy contest I can actually participate in!

1 Like

I couldn’t find this in the rules, but does the entry need to have newly created hardware? For example, could @FManga’s emulator qualify as an entry for porting Arduboy to a new platform?

It can be already existing. People who have made a home made system and published it already here on the community can import it for a chance to win.

But it is a hardware contest, assembling your own PC doesn’t count. Same for other emulators, you can’t submit an android phone as your hardware.

i.e. you need to have actually designed and made the hardware from a component level, not just wrote the code for the port.

@chame has even found a DIY Arduboy in an Arduino book! Everyone is doing it!

3 Likes

Congrats @bateske. Definitely going to submit the Arduboy CE :slight_smile:

1 Like

How should I refer to the … Arduboy … thing?
Like “the place I got the schematics from”.
For now I am using “Arduboy Team”. Let me know if it sound weird.

Heads up! I’m planning on doing a live stream next week where I build an Arduboy PCB from scratch in EagleCAD! If you’ve never made a PCB before, or are curious about some of my process or tips then be sure to join in.

Anyone have a preference on the date/time?

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

0 voters

• Morning PST 3:00:00 PM
  • Afternoon PST 7:00:00 PM
  • Evening PST 12:00:00 AM

0 voters

The Arduboy thing? Did you get the schematics from here, this forum? This is called the Arduboy Community.

Saturday at Noon PST it is! See you there folks!

3 Likes

Technically, I did. From @Mr.Blinky. Part of his “homemade Arduboy” on github.
I also took code from the original Arduboy library (and AdaFruit’s SSD1306 lib) which I think is also on github.

Is it sufficient if I just link them to this forum? (technically yes, since everything I learned about in the 1st place come from here)
I also think it might attract a few visitors in joining. Maybe.